Printer sharing over wireless network

Gary Wood 09:53 07 Feb 2007

I am going to install a wireless access point in my small office network.

At the centre of the network is a Windows 2003 server, which as a couple of printers connected to it.

The access point is to allow staff from other branch offices to be able to access the internet when they visit my office. Ialso want them to be able to print to the printers.

Can anyone tell me if, and how, I can let them access the printers without having to give them a full logon to the network?

Thanks,

Gary

STREETWORK 21:28 07 Feb 2007

The most secure method is to give them a log-on. If you open the network to any person within range it would compromise your security, if anyone can access your network printers, then it can provide access to your files as well for any kiddy hacker in the area...

Gary Wood 21:59 07 Feb 2007

Streetwork,

Thanks for this. I guess a way around having to have lots of individual logons would be to have one "guest" account for visiting staff to use.

If I create a Guest account on the server, what configuration would be needed on the individual Windows XP machines that need to connect?

Thanks,

Gary

STREETWORK 22:06 07 Feb 2007

Go here my friend, to much to detail on forum

click here

good luck

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?