Printer sharing over home network

asw 20:10 15 Nov 2004

I have the following set-up;

A desktop computer with attached epson aculaser c900, this is networked to an inteligent network switching hub. Also wired to this hub is the adsl router and netgear wireless sender which supplies 2 laptops.

I have set up the home network and the laptops can see each other and share files, but although the laptops appear to see the desktop they cannot share the printer. Indeed the epson doesn't even show on the desktop configuration when viewing the network resources.

I hope this makes sense of the system configuration and hope someone has some ideas or solutions?

Thanks in advance...

hillybilly 00:55 16 Nov 2004

First of all, have been into "printers & faxes" on your desktop and right clicked on your printer and selected sharing? Thats first.

Now you can go to each laptop, go into "printers & faxes" and add a new printer follow the wizard through but remember it is now a network printer you are installing and not a local one.

asw 21:17 17 Nov 2004

Thanks for the response, but I've been through these steps? What I can't understand is that when looking at the desktop computer on the network from one of the laptops I can't expand the desktop even though there's a plus sign next to it. The other desktops expand, just as a normal directory tree, to show printers that are available even the PDF virtual printers. It's got me foxed at the moment?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?