Printer sharing

aitch2 14:17 28 Jul 2009

I have a small home network and want to share the printer between the laptop and the Desktop. On the Desktop, to which the printer is connected, I click on start/settings/Printer and Faxes, and choose my printer. In the drop down box I click on sharing, and then I have a dialog box appear which says that "printer settings cannot be saved. Operation cannot be carried out".
Printer works OK otherwise, and checked its settings etc and all ok with no conflicts on the system. Can't think of anything else and both Laptop and Desktop running WinXP+SP3, with no problems.Anyone with a solution?
Thanks
Aitch

Sea Urchin 14:27 28 Jul 2009

Maybe something you've missed?

click here

aitch2 14:37 28 Jul 2009

Thanks for the suggestion. I think it might be the Local Area Connection Properies box I haven't enabled. Another embarrassing question. Where do I find the LACP box? I have tried the Internet Options and cannot find it.
Aitch

Sea Urchin 14:46 28 Jul 2009

Control Panel - Network Connections - right click your LAN connection and select Properties

woodchip 14:52 28 Jul 2009

When I set my Network up I used the Wizard in the Control Panel with all Hardware switched on. Then run the Wizard and create a disc or put it on a usb stick load this in other computer double click on the one file on it to setup that computer then check Printers they should be set to Share

aitch2 15:03 28 Jul 2009

Thanks. In the LACP box the 'File and Printer Sharing for ms networks is already ticked. Although I have the 'hand' icon for printer sharing, the document failed to print. Rechecked the network settings etc and everything appears ok.
Aitch

woodchip 15:07 28 Jul 2009

Have you tried loading the Printer software on both computers. You could also try in Windows Explorer drag the doc to the printer at the bottom of Explorer under networking

aitch2 15:26 28 Jul 2009

Printer is set up and loaded on Desktop and Laptop. If I connect each separately in turn I have no problem with printing. I'll trythe wizard and usb stick to see if that works
Aitch

aitch2 16:16 28 Jul 2009

Woodchip: Tried the Wizard and USB suggestion. On Laptop, printer show the sharing 'hand' icon, but when I try to set up the Desktop I cannot get the sharing and so end up with the same dialog box as in my first post. Can print from the Desktop without problem, but cannot print from the laptop unless I connect the printer directly to it. Appears to be back to square one.
Aitch

woodchip 19:13 28 Jul 2009

network not setup correctly

woodchip 19:19 28 Jul 2009

If you use Windows Firewall that could be the problem
click here(WS.10).aspx

read down click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?