Printer sharing

tonyt1151 13:00 14 Jun 2008

I have 2 PC's one a laptop with Vista the other desktop with XPhome. I have set up wireless home network and both PC's can "see" each other - I can share folders etc between both. I have a Canon Inkjet iP4200 printer which used to be connected to desktop via USB. For convenience I now connect it to laptop same way. However I can't send print documents from desktop to printer.All I get is a message saying print failed. The printer shows on both machines as being ready.

stylehurst 13:47 14 Jun 2008

As you are running different OS's on the 2 machines you will need to install drivers for the Canon on both machines; it should then work.

tonyt1151 13:53 14 Jun 2008

I have drivers installed on both.Printer will work on either machine if connected with USB. Would I need to install Vista drivers on XP desktop even though printer will be conneted to Vista laptop?

Pineman100 14:12 14 Jun 2008

My wife and I have an identical network setup to yours, except that our HP printer is driven via USB from my XP desktop.

My wife's Vista laptop can send documents to the printer so long as my desktop is switched on.

Have you set the printer as shared?

If not, on the printer's host computer go to Control Panel>Printer (the route will vary slightly depending on whether you're using Classic View). Right-click on the printer's icon, and click on Properties. Click on the Sharing tab, and click the radio button to share the printer. Then click OK.

Once you've done this on the printer's "host" computer, you should find that it will be refected in the printer's properties on the other computer, too.

I can't answer your question about running the Vista driver on the XP computer, because my setup is the other way round. But on the Sharing tab you will be offered an opportunity to install the host computer's printer driver. If simply enabling sharing doesn't work, maybe you should try this.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires