Printer sharing

simon_lambert 18:43 02 May 2007

I have a few questions, so please bare with me!

1) I am using Vista on my upstairs machine and XP on the downstairs (which has an Epson c48 printer). I have got the drivers for it on the upstairs PC, and I have enabled printer sharing but when I send a document to print, it does not work. The printer is switched on. Which reminds me: is there a way of switching it on from upstairs using the other PC?

2) Is there a way to 'message' another person on the WI-Fi network? If so, how is it done?

3) Is there a way to view what another person on the network is doing?

Answers to any of these would be great, thanks to everyone who helped to get my network running.

rodriguez 22:24 02 May 2007

1. Turn off the firewalls (Vista and XP) and see if the printing works then. If it does, then file and printer sharing should be enabled in both firewalls.

2. To message another computer on the network, you can either use an instant messenger such as MSN or do a Google search for some free programs (usually made in VB) that allow message pop-ups to be sent. I think there might even be a Command Prompt command that lets you send message pop-ups but I can't remember.

3. Download UltraVNC (click here) and install it on both machines. Run the server on the machine you want to view/control and run the viewer on the machine you're going to watch/control from. Type in the computer's IP address that you want to view/control (you can find this by hovering the mouse over it's blue eye icon by the clock). Also remember to set VNC passwords.

Ashrich 22:46 02 May 2007

Go into the printer drivers properties and select the tab " Sharing " and share the printer over the network it will also give you the opportunity to add drivers for other OS's , so you can load the Vista driver there , then delete the printer from Vista , then re-add letting it draw the correct drivers from the XP machine. To test the installation go into the printer properties from the Vista PC and do a test print , remembering the host PC must be running . Most USB printers do not necessarily need to be switched on for you to print to them , the arriving signal should be enough to turn them on .

Ashley

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires