Printer sharing

  wednesday 13 18:24 27 May 2005

I was hoping to get my printer shared without opening a home network. I thing I have the correct cables and ports but need more info.

Please help,

Wednesday 13

  TomG 18:29 27 May 2005


I'm not sure what you mean by "without home network"

As far as I know the only other way is to buy a switch unit (some are auto and some you just turn a switch.

  wednesday 13 18:36 27 May 2005

I have tried it by setting up a home network which is really sharing the computers with one another.

Where can I get a switch unit?

  TomG 18:39 27 May 2005

PC world do them - whats wrong with using a home network? Using a switch box limits the distance between printer and pcs?

  wednesday 13 18:45 27 May 2005

Home network is too complicated and no one has replied to my threads.

Is there an easy way to set one up between Xp & 98?

  TomG 20:30 27 May 2005

If you only want printer sharing maybe stick with a switch unit - but if you want to share an internet connection then a network is ideal - it all depends whether you are on dial up or broadband

  DieSse 21:53 27 May 2005

If you use a home network, then the system with the printer will always need to be on to use the printer. This can be a major drawback if you find it off and you want to do a quick printout.

If you use a switch-box, then you only need the printer on to use it.

A home network does enable you to do things that a printer switch won't - such as moving files between systems, and sharing a single BB net connection.

However, most switch boxes are for parallel connections - I think that USB switches exist, but I've never used one.

With parallel cables, you can get quite long cables, which will work fine - with USB the length is definately limited unless you use expensive "boosters"

Beware - switch boxes come with a variety of connector types (even for parallel printers), and you need the correct cables to go with them.

  DieSse 21:55 27 May 2005

PS - if you have the correct cables and a switch box, I'm not sure there is more information you could need - just plug them together.

Don't operate the switch whilst the printer is working.

  wednesday 13 12:59 28 May 2005

I am using a dial up.

I found that I could use a router but can You get one or something else in the shops for £50 or less?

  TomG 18:51 28 May 2005

If you are on dial up then you do not need a router - one of the PCs will be connected to the internet via a phone line. You would use internet connection sharing (ICS) - do a search using Google there are a load of sites that will give you info on how to set one up.

  wednesday 13 09:55 29 May 2005

I found I need stuff like ethernet cards and a router for 98.

Should I stick to the switcher or should I get a router, or upgrade 98 to Xp and look for 2 ethernet cards?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?