Printer with separate cartridges needed

Pauper 13:57 21 May 2003

A friend is looking to purchase a new printer, but due to financial constraints (and making it look cheap enough to his wife with their recently extended family !)needs it to have individual ink cartridges to minimise the wastage from unused inks. This will be used to mainly print photographs which will be kept indefinitely taken with a quality camera, so refills or cheap cartridges will not be acceptable as they only wish to use manufacturers ink/media to obtain long lasting results. So any suggestions for a decent printer with individual cartridges will be most welcome.

Thanks, Pauper

Pilch.... 14:06 21 May 2003

Use separate tanks...

Mine the BJC3000 is a good high quality printer that i brouhg t for about £150 about 2-3 years ago and is still going strong..

-pops- 14:14 21 May 2003

Have a look at Epson C80 or C82 (current version)

I have a C80 and it is excellent. It has pigment based inks rather than soluble dyes and this makes for much more light/age stable colours. Separate ink tanks as you require.

Less than £100 inc. VAT.

A point to remember - retain your original photos whether they be film or digital on disks - just in case!!

Brian

stlucia 14:28 21 May 2003

I'm still not convinced that separate colours are cheaper than an all-in-one colour cartridge: In my experience, the separate colours all run out at almost the same time anyway! I have seen postings suggesting that if you do a lot of outdoor photos, the blues run out quicker, but I wonder if it really makes that much difference.

Take a look at the prices of cartridges for the Epson Stylus Photo 950 (separate tanks) and Epson Stylus Photo 925 (combined colour tank)for an idea of costs:- individual colours are £10.80 each, and the 5-colour tank is £18.53. I accept that the capacities are probably different, but maybe someone can work it out on a per cc basis.

-pops- 14:42 21 May 2003

I prefer separate ink tanks because my corporate colour (I use corporate in its widest sense!) is green. Consequently my use of magenta is appreciably lower than yellow and cyan.

stlucia makes a valid point. For general pictures, there is possibly not a lot of relevance for separate ink tanks. My point about pigment inks is still valid, though, and another thing about the C80/82 is the inks are much more water resistant than is usual.

Brian

Pauper 15:18 21 May 2003

Thanks for the replies so far, the requirement is defiantly for single tanks – personally I use the Sharp AJ2100 and can defiantly see the advantages in this philosophy. I have thrown the details for the Canon i550 at him ( thanks pilch), and am just about to launch the info on the C82 in his direction (thanks pops). On price alone the C82 looks his best bet but I will leave the thread open a while longer for any other opinions / suggestions.

Pauper 15:32 21 May 2003

He's not quite that 'defiant' - but fairly ‘definite’

_Treb_ 16:43 21 May 2003

Got to be Canon.

otubby1 19:03 21 May 2003

Going with the Epson gang, I use the Epson Stylus CX5200. It's going for about £150 and takes the same cartridges as the C82, but it has the scanner and stand-alone copier incorperated.

Bebee 19:13 21 May 2003

I just bought the canon i950 for photoprinting. The quality is superb, but it is on the pricey side (around £270 from various sites). The 550 is cheaper and worth a look. I avoided those with the straight from the camera/card gizmos as I'd rather use the PC and pay for print quality.
(Canon claim photos last 20-25 years on their phot pro paper - also quite expensive).

Nosmas 19:20 21 May 2003

When your friend has decided upon a printer tell him to look at click here for ink (and paper) supplies. I have dealt with them for some years, and have always found their prices much better than "High Street" shops. They sell manufacturers originals or "compatible", you take your choice.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?