Printer probs. USB cable 3mtrs

GBL 22:24 03 Sep 2004

I have an HP printer which unfortunately due to my laypout needs a USB cable of 3 meters in length, HP suggest 2 mtrs max.
I do experience some slight problems with it which I presume may be down to the cable length.

Can I get round this by installing a USB hub which I might manage to get nearer to the printer and revert to a 2mts cable??

spuds 22:48 03 Sep 2004

HP have recommended a 2 mtr cable through their product developement, but I have found 'that little bit more'doesn't make alot of difference.Unless you are using a poor or faulty cable, which is usually a very rare occurance. Fitting an hub may make a little difference, so why not experiment.

You say that you are having slight problems, what are they!.

Diodorus Siculus 22:49 03 Sep 2004

Not sure... a powered hub might well do the job for you....

GBL 22:57 03 Sep 2004

It doesn't always print, even though it will switch on.

I also have a canon printer attached which will print the required document, but stress that the default is the HP printer.

It is a cheap cable from Asda as i couldn't find a longer one elsewhere at the time.

spuds 12:39 04 Sep 2004

The cable from Asda should not be a problem. Using a self powered hub can improve some add-ons like scanners etc, but this usually depends on the product and your usb supply. I find that a question to the manufacturers support usually comes up with a definate answer.

What I would suggest is that you do a 'clean' re-install of the printer drivers etc, and see if that solves and improves the situation.

GBL 13:11 04 Sep 2004

thanks will give your replies a go and see what happens.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?