Printer problems

TommyRed 15:59 15 Mar 2005

I have a HP PSC 1210 and have been using compatible cartridges from Choice. Due to the high cost of even the compatibles the last time I filled them up with ink from a kit. This caused an error on the printer every other time I went to use it, so I followed the instructions here click here and reset the ink levels as instructed. This has worked for the black cartridge but not the tri-colour one. My printer says there is a problem with the cartridge and to replace it, am I able to print just with the black for now and how do I do it? The printer won't allow it at present. TIA TR

sinbad1 16:06 15 Mar 2005

not quite sure what problem you have :but cartridges have a coded number when u refil it wont reconise the same cartridge but there is a way round this click here

bit fiddly but works a treat

hope this helps

sinbad1 16:10 15 Mar 2005

sorry posted same link

could be the contacts on cartridge make sure you have the right ones covered with c/tape and clean b4 refitting

TommyRed 16:32 15 Mar 2005

Checked and tried that, no joy, error still occuring. Can't do method 2 'cos I haven't got any extra cartridges. TR

sinbad1 16:50 15 Mar 2005

sounds like faulty contacts to me. I have two sets of cartridges and just recycle them and no need to go through the sticky tape job.Sometimes using tape leaves a residue on the contacts which will give you errors.

tipical HP its to make you buy their expensive cartriges.

Try cleaning contacts carefully with switch cleaner or simular.

The cantacts are a little flimsy and if not handled carefully can easily be damaged.

Think you will need to obtain ready filled compatible cartriges unless you have a freind with same printer to solve your problem

jbp1982 16:57 15 Mar 2005

I get epson cartridges for £2 each they're top quality better than £20 each for the originals I was quoted from PCWORLD. Mine is C66 Photo Edition.

Try the this:

click here

For anyonw whose interested.

sinbad1 16:57 15 Mar 2005

Not sure if this would work :but if u completely uninstalled the printer software then reinstalled,
it may remove the cartridge memory number.
just a thought

TommyRed 20:51 15 Mar 2005

After I filled the cartridges up, the black one stopped working. I took it down to an ink refill shop where the guy said I'd overfilled it, he drained the excess out for a donation into the charity box. I wonder if I've also overfilled the tri-colour cartridge which is why it wont work. Probably worth another trip to check out the cartridge, methinks. TR

sinbad1 20:54 15 Mar 2005

may be your problem let us know

TommyRed 20:56 15 Mar 2005

A guy in the computer stall at my local market said the reason for Epson being so cheap is that they didn't get a patent on their cartridges, whereas the other manufacturers did. So anyone can make Epson compatibles but the others are re-manufactured returned ones. Don't know how true this is. TR

TommyRed 15:51 16 Mar 2005

The ink refill shop checked the tri-colour cartridge and said it was alright, another donation in the charity box. Came back still same problem, been to HP site downloaded and run 'cartridge compatibility utility' same as before, maybe contacts on printer need cleaning. The only good thing that has happened is now I know how to print only in black in 'reserve mode'. Will try and clean internal contacts with a cotton wool bud and see if that works. TR

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?