Printer problem

PEG007 12:58 11 Dec 2009

After years of trouble free printing my printer will now only print from the net. I refuses to work with Word or pdf documents.
Any suggestions?

Diemmess 13:59 11 Dec 2009

Check in Control Panel > printers > "your printer" > proprties that "your printer" is set to print offline.

PEG007 11:45 12 Dec 2009

Yes,did the whole troubleshooting bit without any joy.

PEG007 11:46 12 Dec 2009

Yes,did the whole troubleshooting bit without any joy.

Diemmess 16:34 12 Dec 2009

.... uninstalling the printer, disconnecting it and rebooting before doing anything more?

Then depending on which Windows and which printer you have, re-install it by seeing if the PC finds new hardware when the printer is switched on again.
The probability if using XP or later is that it will install the printer for you. If not then you will need your printer software CD when challenged.

Diemmess 16:36 12 Dec 2009

It has to be a software program problem and nothing wrong with your printer.

PEG007 16:52 15 Dec 2009

Thanks for the help. Yes I uninstalled and XP detected and reinstalled it as per above. However, still no joy.

Sea Urchin 17:36 15 Dec 2009

You haven't said which printer you have - but you should certainly install the appropriate driver for it - don't rely on the generic windows driver.

Diemmess 15:41 16 Dec 2009

Yes, Sea Urchin is correct. The original CD for that printer should be used first. If the printer is very old compared with the OS, there may be an update from the manufacturer.

My laziness shows that if the OS has been changed to a later version there will usually be a built-in set of drivers for your printer.

That's not to say they always work as they should, but provided you uninstall the printer first, then reboot with the printer disconnected and then install from the maker's version, that should do the trick.

Sea Urchin 17:52 16 Dec 2009

If you tell us which printer and model it is we should be able to point you to the appropriate driver to download.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?