Printer Problem

SonnyB 23:10 27 Nov 2009

I have a home network with two laptops connected to the main Windows 7 pc. One laptop is Vista the other Windows 7, but for some reason the Windows 7 cannot see the network printer. The main pc is switched on, as is the printer. The Vista laptop connected easily.
I have set all computers to share and be visible and have turned off passwords in the network sharing centre but the Windows 7 machine still cannot connect to the printer.
Any advice apreciated.

woodchip 23:21 27 Nov 2009

Try this on the Win7 Laptop Start Windows Explorer by Pressing the Win Key and E Key then try dragging a doc onto the Printer icon that should show in the Networking Work Groups. See if it brings up a message

SonnyB 23:28 27 Nov 2009

Thanks, but I am really not sure what you mean, as pressing Win key and E takes me to 'computer' and there is no printer icon there or in networking\work groups.

woodchip 23:32 27 Nov 2009

Win Key plus Win and E should start Windows Explorer. If does not try typing Explorer into Run and press enter. The Printer Icon should show down at the bottom left under Networking and Work Groups

woodchip 23:38 27 Nov 2009

okay just looked in Explorer on my XP computer it should drop in the same place. in Explorer it comes under My Network Places\Microsoft Windows Network\Mshome if you cannot see a printer icon in there your network is not configured correctly

SonnyB 23:38 27 Nov 2009

It does open explorer but there is no printer icon as no printers are installed or detected. Surley 'add printer' would be best place? At the bottom left it just has the name of my pc and that it is in a workgroup. I am puzzled becasue in Vista it picked up the printer in seconds.
Thanks for help so far,

woodchip 13:24 28 Nov 2009

You need to use the Network Wizard on the PC follow instructions when you run it, All Computers and Hardware should be switched on before running Wizard Make a disc when it asks use this in other computer by double clicking the file it puts on the disc or USB stick

SonnyB 21:37 28 Nov 2009

Thanks woodchip, the problem is now fixed. I realised that both the main pc and the laptop had the same name on the network. I changed the name of the laptop and it found the printer straight away!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?