printer problem

diesel1948 20:57 24 Aug 2008

I have an hp psc 2210 all in one printer. A problem has arose and I cant sort it out. It works for a while and when it gets turned off, it wont turn back on. I have an 8 socket surgepro AV, and sometimes when I plug it in another socket it lets me switch it on. I thought it was the power cable so changed it and it switched on. I came to it again several hours later and it wont switch on again. Anyone any ideas what is happening

csqwared 21:22 24 Aug 2008

I had a similar problem a couple of years ago and finally resolved it by changing the multi-socket surge protector. Still haven't found out why it did it though.

diesel1948 22:16 24 Aug 2008

Strange, I just unplugged it and tried it in another socket, no good. Then I unplugged the usb cable from printer and plugged printer back into same socket and it worked. Now it appears to be working fine but I wonder for how long. Perhaps I should just leave it switched on all the time.

Taff™ 07:50 25 Aug 2008

This could be a Power Setting for the USB Port. Go to Device Manager (Control Panel>System) and expand the USB Controllers at the bottom. Right click the USB Root Hubs and select properties. On the Power Management Tab check that the box "Allow the computer to turn off to save power" isn`t ticked.

jack 08:22 25 Aug 2008

Power supply .
Is this the case with this one?
If it is it could be the 'Power Brick' is going 'High' and causing the Anti Surge device to 'trip'
Then when everything cools it resets etc.

diesel1948 13:18 25 Aug 2008

Tried going into device manager and unticked all boxes in power management, restarted and still would not switch on. Just lifted it out from under desk, unplugged usb and put it on a chair and the t---t switched on. Put it back under desk and used the old cable and it, once again, seems to be working fine. Got to take your view Jack that it may be the power brick causing the problem. However I have had it for quite a while and it has never done it before. Thanks anyway for all your advice, I will keep you posted with any new developments. Cheers, Diesel

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Nokia 8 vs Galaxy S8

Best new design books 2017: From vintage infographics to the the psychology of type

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Nokia 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie