Printer Problem

harleyd 05:46 23 Jul 2008

I tend to type a lot of address labels & recently noticed than on many, but not all occasions the labels are misaligned/off centre. This happens on full page prints or individuals, despite everything looking OK on the formating view page. I use a HP 5940, 2+ years old & have to admit its had some heavy usage, also when I look at the paper roller/grippers they look somewhat 'tired' in terms of the rubber seems to be perished/wrinkled which may impact on the grip? I suspect it could be the printer causing the problems, can any one confirm please? also any recommendations for a new model printer, if I should need one. Many thanks. HD

jack 08:24 23 Jul 2008

Even on newish machines.
The idiocyncratic feed system of HP machines being particularly prone.
If you are into label printing as a main thing then a tractor feed machine is possibly the only remedy- and you are not likely to see one of those in PCW or from the boxshifters.

So a new HP? Perhaps better than your existing one
But as a personal thing I don't them much because of that feed system.

spuds 10:24 23 Jul 2008

If the printer is two plus years old and as had heavy usage, then it would be cheaper and better to think in terms of a replacement printer, than trying to improve the HP5940.

I have a semi-retired HP OfficeJet 590, which is about 12/14 years old (possibly older!). Still chugging away on the odd occasions. So in that case, they were meant to last :O)

You could check www,fixyourownprinter.com for possible further advice.

harleyd 06:28 24 Jul 2008

Hi Guys. Looks as if its a new printer req. Thanks for your help. Rgds. HD

wiz-king 06:58 24 Jul 2008

If you do a lot of labels then you may be better off getting a label printer, either a Dymo or Brother. If you are doing a seriously large lots of labels then Zebra and TEC (Toshiba) do a good range of label printers.
I have 4 Zebra printers at work and they do about 500,000 thermal labels each year.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?