Printer problem

marilynbell 18:46 06 Aug 2003

This damn printer is getting on my nerves and it doesn't even belong to me, but I get the job of fixing it. It's an Epson 460. It's just printing out rubbish. It hasn't worked properly since she had a virus which infected 28 files and pres umably affected the printer software. I have uninstalled and re-installed twice. I have downloaded a driver from Epson and now I'm at the end of my tether with it, any suggestions apart from the bin, by the way when I say rubbish it's just lines of letters and numbers any help greatly appreciated

billyliv 19:01 06 Aug 2003

Hi, Gobbleygook means that the appropriate driver isn't installed, have a look in your device manager for a yellow exclamation mark against your printer. Post back. Cheers, Bill

spikeychris 19:03 06 Aug 2003

Click Printers, right click the Epson 460 icon and
select properties from the list. Go into the Utility section, click on speed
& progress, then click on Monitoring preferences, remove all the ticks from
the monitoring preferences. then Ok your way out.

You don't say what operating system your using but if its Win98 or XP click on
Start, run, in the run box type Msconfig and click ok. Select the Startup
tab along the top, look down the list of startup items for Epson status
monitor 3 environment check, remove the tick from the box, then click on Ok
and restart.

marilynbell 23:55 06 Aug 2003

Thanks for the advice, as I say it's not my printer so I can't have a look at the things you have mentioned, but I have wriiten them down and will have a look to see if any of it applies, what do I do if there is a yellow exclamation mark against the printer

Djohn 00:00 07 Aug 2003

Also to reset the memory of an epson printer, try the following. Turn off PC, but leave printer turned on, then remove the power cord from the rear of printer, wait a couple of seconds then replace the power plug into printer. This resets the memory. j.

Djohn 00:00 07 Aug 2003

Also to reset the memory of an epson printer, try the following. Turn off PC, but leave printer turned on, then remove the power cord from the rear of printer, wait a couple of seconds then replace the power plug into printer. This resets the memory. j.

Djohn 00:01 07 Aug 2003

Twitchy finger! :o(

marilynbell 00:06 07 Aug 2003

thanks for that yet another thing to try I have looked at my epson as in the previous post and all the check boxes are unchecked so I can have a look at hers and see if that is what the problem is, believe me I'll try anything

DieSse 07:59 07 Aug 2003

If it's on the same cable as a scanner, or a switch box, or a zip drive (or anything else) - plug it directly into the system and test it again.

Try replacing the cable

Make sure the BIOS printer port is set to ECP (recommended by Epson).

marilynbell 19:18 10 Aug 2003

Thanks for all your help with this, it's now working thank goodness. The only thing that doesn't work is the progress but we don't bother about that, I have checked and the box for it is checked but as I say we are not really bothered about it. Once again thanks everyone

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017