printer not working!!!!!!!

sheps 21:41 05 Aug 2004

Since having my pc reformatted I have had a lot of trouble installing my modem,then my digital camera, now it's my printers turn!!!!!!!
It has a parallel port at the back of printer, and i noticed when i start up on the bios thingy is says PARALLEL PORTS ..NONE,could this be the problem, it worked before, i'm running ME and the printer is an Epson stylus Photo 830. I can't work out why i'm having all this trouble, I've installed and uninstalled all epson software, First it said printer was set to FILE, now it's set to COM1, HELP ME SOMEONE..HELP ME. I'm dreading trying the scanner.

johnsims 00:12 06 Aug 2004

Sounds to me as if when the reformat was done, there was a failure to properly install the parallel port. Go to device manager and unisnstall the parallel port and then reboot. If this des not solve your problem, I would have a go at reinstalling all the motherboard drivers.

Wak 10:45 06 Aug 2004

Check in the Bios to see if the LPT1 port has been enabled after the re-install.
Also check that the LPT1 port (if you are using the parallel port) has been listed for the printer and not the COM port which is usually for the modem.
The scanner will probably need a USB connection.

sheps 18:35 06 Aug 2004

Hi Ya Wak, and John, I've just gone into device mngr and clicked ports, it is showing Communications PORT COM1 and PORT COM2, there is nothing saying parallel port at all. Is this any help!!!!!!

sheps 19:30 06 Aug 2004

Just to let u know, i have managed to sort it out, i went into the amibios setup and found the parallel ports were disabled so i just thought i'll have a go and enable it and see what happens, and after re-booting i done a dummy letter, and pressed print and HEY PRESTO it worked, i'm quite chuffed with myself, thanks for the advice though guys. from paula

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?