Printer not recognised?

dazza39 08:45 10 Jan 2006

I have a HP 1200 All-in One Printer/Copier/Scanner,however Windows hasn't noticed it as my default printer,???,i have uninstalled and re-installed software and still no joy,its a USB connection.I also have an Epsom Picturemate set up as well,could this be conflicting somewhere,i do't know.

Methedrine 11:49 10 Jan 2006

Check that the USB plug on the printer is plugged in properly. Sometimes the plastic moulding around the USB plug catches on the case of this printer.

jack 12:01 10 Jan 2006

Check the 'Printers and Faxes box[Start - bottom of RH column] and ensure the printer of choice is ticked default[right click tick make default printer]

dazza39 13:56 10 Jan 2006

Trouble is the printer icon isn't even showing???? for me to tick,like it hasn't been added.

Mytob 14:14 10 Jan 2006

go to the detect new hardware bit an see if windows detects it. i dont bother using the setup cd to install hardware as i tend to have similer problems to this. i always get windows to find it and then install the drivers from the cd and not via the driver installer on the cd. have a go and see what hapens.

keith-236785 16:34 10 Jan 2006

not sure about that model, but HP printers were picky about being installed....you had to make sure that the USB was NOT plugged in until you were told to.
Unplug the printer, uninstall any printer drivers you have (right click and delete), reboot your pc and once windows is up, put the printer driver disc in and start the install process, only connecting the usb when told to. if it still wont work, read the manual for the correct installation method and also the troubleshooting section to see if that helps.

Mytob 17:27 10 Jan 2006

I just remembered i had a hp not long ago and had the same probs with it. Got it to work some times but most of the time i just got it to install the drivers and when it was scanning for the printer and could not find it i just hit continue. Worked some times with that. Gave up with it in the end because of that and the fact you could not easily refil the printer cartriges and get them to work again.

dazza39 13:43 11 Jan 2006

Guys followed manual to the letter,installed software first,then it prompted me to connect USB cable which i did,switched,got a "Device found please wait a few mins for install to finish loading drivers etc,after about 5 mins nothing happened and it came back with an error message,not connected,grrrr.Will try the XP option after un-installing the original software.So frustrating,ironically i can still use the copier facility,lol.

dazza39 13:56 16 Jan 2006

Sorted in the end,though i had to resort to clean install,to solve problem,think it originated when i deleted my son's profile off my PC as he has is own now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone