printer IP address change

Marko797 13:13 23 Jul 2010

Printed fine yesterday on my network printer, but today it wouldn't print. Went into various things on the PC, and then the network menu on the printer, and the IP address had changed from the previous one ending 144, to a new address ending 67. Made the necessary changes at the PC, & printing fine again.

Anyone advise what the reason for this could have been?

Incidentally, yesterday we had thunder & lightening which did affect the general power supply to this area for about a minute (off then back on which tripped out my desktop, and guess also the printer).

Could this have been the cause?

mgmcc 13:36 23 Jul 2010

The first three octets (numbers) of the IP address would have been more significant than the last one. For the last octet, any number that isn't already in use between 1 and 254 would be valid. The first three need to match those of the router's own IP address.

Marko797 13:40 23 Jul 2010

so...going bk to the question, could the storm of yesterday have changed any of the settings?

mgmcc 20:04 23 Jul 2010

I cannot tell you what specific effect lightning in the area, or a surge over the power lines, could have had on your system. It is possible though that this did upset the network, particularly if there was a momentary loss or fluctuation of power.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?