Printer ink which will not fade

23790954 13:00 16 Jul 2006

I use a Canon i865 bubblejet printer, which has actually been an excellent printer. The only thing about the printer, is that I make notices, which I laminate, to put on various parts of my property and although laminated the printing fades badly in 8 or 9 months time. The posters are printed on white A4 card.
Is it possible to buy a printer which uses ink, which does not fade through time, to avoid printing the posters every 8 or 9 months. It must also be good for digital photographs.
Thanks for any information given.

Stuartli 13:15 16 Jul 2006

The printer manufacturers' original inks are usually regarded as having the longest life span.

However, any printing or photographs which are mostly exposed to the light will eventually fade to a lesser or greater degree.

spuds 13:19 16 Jul 2006

Epson (DURABrite ink) and other manufacturers, say their original inks are better products for less fading, but personally, I have not always found this to be so.

Have you tried a 'fixing' solution after printing?.

€dstowe 13:24 16 Jul 2006

Almost all colour inks will fade in time. The best inks to use are pigment based ones and Epson are well known suppliers of printers that use pigment inks. Note that you cann't just put a pigment ink into an ordinary inkjet cartridge.

Apart from that, laser printers use pigment toners but cheap colour lasers do not always give the highest quality results. Cheap monochrome lasers on the other hand tend to be very good and the toner is carbon based and permanent.

wee eddie 14:32 16 Jul 2006

If it is blocks of colour, rather than photographs, then the Colour Laser printer may be your salvation.

However, the UV content of Daylight will bleach out the pigment in almost everything. Even Road Signs which, I am told, begin to degrade in about 18 months.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?