Printer help

jane eyre 00:04 22 Jan 2003
  jane eyre 00:04 22 Jan 2003

can any one please help me. I am a complete novice and know very little about P.Cs, this belongs to my 10 year old daughter. I want to buy a cheap, basic printer to go with this PC. It must be easy to install and easy to use.She has a Compaq presario 5000 series. no5446EA. gratefull for any info or help any wiz kids out there can give me. many thanks. Lion

VoG™ 00:12 22 Jan 2003

Well here's a selection click here

It really depends on what you want to do - I guess a really cheap prinrer will do for most schoolwork.

It should not matter what PC you have as long as there is a printer socket at the back (which there will be).

NOTE: You normally have to buy a cable as this is not supplied with the printer.

Worf100 00:47 22 Jan 2003

Printers come with two types of cable connections, the newer USB looks like a UK telephone socket whilst the parallel port is about 30 mm long by 7 mm wide with two rows of holes. You should have a parallel port but may also have USB.
If you like paying for an item and taking it away your local ASDA (No I do not work for them !) have two printers on offer, the one I looked at was an EPSON C62 @ £72, they also have a cheaper Lexmark, both good printers.
In the long term its the cost of the ink which gives the true cost of a printer. If you are OK with pre owned try a local second hand computer retailer and you may also get the cables with it (power and printer). I used to use a Cannon 620 printer in which all the four inks came in separate cartridges (my current Epson has one black and one for the three colours so if one runs out I have to exchange the complete cartridge).
Need any more help send me an e-mail
Good Luck

Djohn 01:10 22 Jan 2003

As above, and you will find that Epson do a good range of quality printers C42, C62, C82 etc.

Although you can buy compatible inks for most printers, you will find that Epson compatibles tend to be cheaper. I would think an Epson would probably cost you in the region of £25-00 to £35-00 per year in ink, some printers especially the cheaper ones may cost you up to £100-00 per year to run!

A good place to start is to look at the reviews on this site, (Top left) click on there and read up a little and post back on this thread.

If you can give a price that you wish to pay
forum users will help you and look for the cheapest price and where to buy. Regards. J.

shifty 21:15 22 Jan 2003

Epson C42 printer in the sale at Pc World and also available at Argos. Cracking little printer for the school work etc. Doesn't do a bad photographic print for the slightly more detailed work.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone