Printer and file sharing

Picklefactory 14:07 06 Nov 2010

Afternoon all
I know there are plenty of threads on this, but can't find the right answer.
Trying to set up a friends laptop to share files and printer on home network.
Printer is hardwiered to desktop, desktop hardwired to BT router and laptop via wireless.
Both laptop and desktop are running XP.
I've run the network wizards, and each pc can see the network (MSHOME default name), but neither one has access to it. If I try and open the network on the laptop I get denied access. On the desktop I can also see the laptop name in mshome, but also denied access.
Any thoughts?
Cheers

howard64 17:13 06 Nov 2010

sounds like the ssid password is missing or corrupt, Try switching off wireless in your router reboot it and then switch it back on and possibly set it up from scratch.

Picklefactory 10:06 07 Nov 2010

Thanks Howard, I'll give it a shot

Taff™ 10:30 07 Nov 2010

Make sure that each computer user has a password on the user account - reboot all machines again. You`ll then be asked to log in to the network to access specific accounts.

For sharing printers ensure that on the sharing tab in properties of the printer the relevant boxes are set to share.

QuizMan 10:39 07 Nov 2010

I know I am not the sharpest knife in the box when it comes to networking, but I fail to see why you cannot print from the desktop PC, if, as you say, it is hardwired. I assume that this is by USB - is that correct? If so, networking should not come into it except for the laptop as the PC should go straight to the printer, not via the router.

Picklefactory 13:42 07 Nov 2010

Thanks folks

QuizMan
The laptop is the issue, that is what I was attempting to set up, he has no issue printing from the desktop, but either I'm missing something daft or there is something strange with his kit as I cannot get the home network connecting properly. His desktop is about 8 years old and pretty slow, I'm also fairly sure he doesn't have much in the way of updates as he's out in the sticks and his BT broadband is woefully slow, so he has switched off MS updates a long time ago.

I did exactly the same thing for myself a couple of years ago, and remember clearly that I was very surprised at how easy it was. It took me about 5 minutes flat and had no issue at all. My set up was very similar except it was XP desktop and Vista laptop, but I still had no issue. I messed about for over an hour yesterday on his, and still couldn't get either machine to access the home network, and I also couldn't get the laptop to be able to share the printer through the wireless system.
I notice he had made various attempts himself, and had about 6 copies of the printer drivers installed in his printer folder. I deleted most, but one copy refused to delete. I think I might also have to clear all of those and re-install from scratch.
I don't want to spend too much time delving as he plans to buy a new machine fairly soon, so not much point re-inventing the wheel, but it's frustrating that what should be a simple task is not happening.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from Petya?

Microsoft Surface Studio – the artist's hands-on review

Original iPhone review

Comment mettre à jour Kodi ?