printer and file sharing

goldenoldie2000 14:35 21 Oct 2007

Can I printer and file share between PC running Windows 98SE and Laptop running Windows XP Home ,the printer is connected to the PC,both computers connected wirelessly.

BurrWalnut 15:59 21 Oct 2007

Firstly, set up a workgroup by right-clicking My Computer > Properties > Computer Name and change the default workgroup name to something a more meaningful to your household, also make the computer name recognisable, e.g. MainPC or IBMPC. The computer should reboot. Now identify the folders/files you want to share and right-click them and select share and read or read/write access. A little hand should appear under those that are shared.

Unfortunately Win98SE is a distant memory but it is similar to the above. I think it might be Settings > Control Panel > Network then select Sharing. You should be able to find it.

ambra4 16:06 21 Oct 2007

Check this site

click here

goldenoldie2000 18:56 22 Oct 2007

Thanks for your replies to my problem.I have been able to enable file and print sharing on both computers,but they do not appear to share each others information.
Will Windows 98SE and Windows XP Home talk to each other ?

BurrWalnut 19:04 22 Oct 2007

To see or copy files, go to Start > My Network Places (Network Neighborhood in Win98SE I think) and the computers/folders/files should appear.

In Explorer drag them from one PC to the other.

goldenoldie2000 21:18 22 Oct 2007

Both the PC and Laptop icons appear on each computer but when I right click on the Laptop icon on the PC I receive the following message .You do not have the appropriate accesss rights for this service ,For more information contact your Network Administrator.A similar message appears when I try and open the PC on the Laptop.
I enabled file sharing on the Laptop but this file does not appear on the PC,and also enabled printer sharing on the PC this does not appear on the Laptop .

crosstrainer 12:31 23 Oct 2007

To set access permissions on the folders you wish to share.

Right click on the ones you want, and choose the sharing tab...From there you can set the parameters you want. You can also right click on an entire drive and share it that way (not advisable if you don't want others to access your data.

goldenoldie2000 14:36 23 Oct 2007

At present I have attempted to share the printer which is attached to the PC the shared printer icon appears on the laptop when I try to open it I receive the following message.
The server for the epson c62 printer does not have the coorectprinter driver installed.If you want tosearch for the proper driver,click ok.Otherwiseclick canceland contact your network administrator or original equipment manufacturer for the correct printer driver.
I have also tried to share a folder from my laptop I am unable to locate this on my PC.I had right clicked on this and enabled sharing.
As I previously mentioned I am unable to open the laptop icon on the PC .
When I right click to enable file sharing on my PC no sharing facility appears.
I seem to be going round in circles.

BurrWalnut 14:45 23 Oct 2007

Did you follow my first post regarding using the same workgroup, right-clicking folders and choosing 'share', etc?

crosstrainer 15:33 23 Oct 2007

Once you have the correct sharing set up, allow the pc to find the drivers for the printer (it may ask you for the installation cd, but can normally find them from the source (ie the computer the printer is attached to) Go to control panel / printers add printer and browse for your printer from there.

goldenoldie2000 16:12 24 Oct 2007

BurrWalnut
Yes I did follow your first post .

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?