Printer errors on network since power cut

jamesrussellcj 12:20 14 Jul 2014

Hi,

I'm trying to fix a problem we have had since experiencing a power cut last week. Our main support guy is on holiday and i am pretty new to our network.

After we lost power i had to manually start all of our servers and services and i thought everything was working until a user tried to use one of our printers.

The error message for one of the printers was 'Error - Offline' and the other says 'Unable to connect'. Both messages being displayed from the print options in microsoft word. The 2 printers are a HP LaserJet p1505n and a HP Colour LaserJet CM 2320.

We have a small network with a domain controller and DHCP on one server and our printer installations on another (running Windows Server 2008 R2 64-bit. The printers are connected to the network via ethernet cable. I remember someone mentioning restarting a network switch which is next the printers which i have done.

I printed a config page from one of the printers and made sure that the displayed IP address was correct in DHCP. It was correct for the address lease and reservation for the printer. When i try and ping the printer from a computer i get 'Destination host is unreachable'.

It must be something to do with settings not being right after the power cut but i'm not sure where next to look.

Any advise would be very welcomed.

Thanks!

imendpc 13:40 14 Jul 2014

Guessing here:- 1. After power up the DHCP assigned IP for another device ? 2. Look at router config to see if there is an IP address reserve list and printer is in the reserve list (MAC address reservations)? 3. An entry in hosts file sets printer fixed IP differently? (tried ipconfig /flushdns ?) 4. Is there a MAC address filter setting in the router which filters out devices unless the MAC address is entered

Woolwell 14:36 14 Jul 2014

Surprised your workplace hasn't UPS.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?