Printer for DVD discs?

renard 00:03 19 Nov 2007

I am busy transferring all our old VHS tapes onto DVD. It would be nice to have attractive labels on the DVDs, but I have been warned that 'stick-on' labels may harm the discs.

I understand that some computer printers can print directly onto blank 'printable' DVDs. I would also like to design and print covers for the DVD cases.

Presumably my present printer (Canon BJC-6100) can't do this.

Please can anyone recommend a printer which can do these functions, especially the printing onto DVDs? Nothing too expensive, please - my budget is limited!

Many thanks, in anticipation of replies.

Kemistri 00:40 19 Nov 2007

As far as I know, any modern Canon can do it. Even my old i-865 (pre-Pixma) can do it. Just check the specs at the manufacturers' websites, such as click here and click here

MCE2K5 00:43 19 Nov 2007

Epson Printers Do It Also,

click here

keef66 12:02 19 Nov 2007

My Canon Pixma ip3000 does it, and jolly nice they look too.
It has a little tray with a circular depression to hold the disk, so if you don't remember getting one with your printer, it probably doesn't do it

Totally-braindead 13:53 19 Nov 2007

Don't know if your printer does it or not but one word of warning. As you said they have to be printable disks, my mate bought some that he thought were printable, presummably because they were white.
They weren't printable ones at all and the ink wouldn't dry. He had to wipe all the ink off with paper towels, he was careful not to get the ink on the data side so it wasn't that much hassle as he didn't lose the disks but was rather messy.
He left one of them for a week and it still wasn't dry!

martjc 13:56 19 Nov 2007

...the technology is in the DVD writer. They only cost about 30 quid and are easy to install.

click here

Have a look.

Kemistri 16:29 19 Nov 2007

Out of interest, does Lightscribe provide comparable quality to printing? I vaguely remember reading something to the contrary when that system first appeared.

keef66 17:24 19 Nov 2007

It's laser etching rather than printing, so it looks quite different. It's just as accurate though

renard 21:11 19 Nov 2007

Many thanks to everyone who has responded to my question. Your advice is greatly appreciated.

As suggested, I have looked at Canon’s product pages, only to get myself thoroughly confused at their bewildering variety of printers. Being something of a dumb-dumb, I think I would suffer the same confusion whichever make I examined!

Here are my printer needs:

I am a small-time home PC user. I don’t do much printing but I like it to be good quality. I don’t think I need go to laser, I assume inkjet will be OK.

I want a colour printer, preferably one with separate colour ink tanks, so that individual colours can be replaced when required. I would like to print photos in reasonable / good quality up to A4. I also want to print onto DVDs, as indicated above.

I don’t need fax and I already have a good modern scanner / copier, so I don’t need a multiple use machine.

I have no idea about the relative merits of various makes of printer, although I am instinctively drawn towards Canon. Finally, although I’m not a cheapskate, I don’t want to spend an enormous amount of cash!

If any kind souls can recommend a printer to meet my needs I will be very grateful for any advice. Thanks, in advance.

MCE2K5 21:57 19 Nov 2007

Cost of ink carts also a consideration.

Kemistri 22:39 19 Nov 2007

No, you certainly don't need or want anything other than a standard inkjet. click here or click here. What was it that confused you about the Canon site? In the Bubblejet section, there is this, for example: click here.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone