Printer constantly offlline

missym 11:25 21 Feb 2009

Hi everyone, I have a HP photosmart all-in-one printer which has decided to "go offline". I cannot find anywhere to change the status, even followed a link on one of these forums which said to unplug and reboot, It worked once then as I watched it went back to offline, I really don't know what to do other than box the flippin thing up and plonk it back where it came from. when it works it is fine but I have had it since june '08 and if I have printed 6 pages of text and 4 photo's that is all it has done, I am using an Acer PC running vista home premium with a netgear router and virgin media internet, please help? THanks, Diane.

johndrew 12:08 21 Feb 2009

I`m no expert on printer problems, but have dug around and found some information.

There seems to be quite a lot on HP printers doing what yours is. I cut this from within a lot of other bits that were things people had tried but which had failed. This appears to have had good results. Let us know if it works for you.

"1) Click on the "Start Menu" icon on the bottom left corner of the screen, type "services.msc" in the "Start Search" edit box, and hit enter. This will trigger Vista to pop-up a "User Account Control" dialog to prompt for permission to continue. Click "Continue" to allow Vista to open the Services management console application.

2) The Services management console application is made up of 2 panels. The right panel contains a list of all services available on the system. Scroll thru this list and look for a service called "HP CUE DeviceDiscovery Service".

3) Right-click on "HP CUE DeviceDiscovery Service" and select "Properties" to open the "HP CUE DeviceDiscovery Service Properties" dialog.

4) From the "HP CUE DeviceDiscovery Service Properties" dialog, click on the "General" tab. If the "Service status" shows that the service has started, click on the "Stop" button to force the service to stop.

5) Change the "Start type" to "Disabled" and click on the "OK" button on the bottom of the dialog to apply the changes."

mgmcc 12:10 21 Feb 2009

Go into "Control Panel > Printers" and double click the printer to open its "window".

From the Printer menu, untick "Use Printer Offline". If necessary, keep this window open while doing your printing.

missym 15:43 21 Feb 2009

Thank you johndrew and mgmcc, but I have tried both your suggestions and unfortunately neither has worked the darn thing is still saying off line it is set as the default printer so what I am going to try now is uninstall and re-install and see if that works. thanks for all your help. Diane,.

missym 10:44 11 Mar 2009

hi all, I have re-installed the printer again, and of course it has disappeared again! I did everything that you have suggested to no avail, I think the only thing I can do now apart from chucking it out of the window, is try and return it to Tesco Direct. No wonder the darn thing was half price! But my sister has exactly the same set-up as I have and she has had no problem whatsoever with her printer, she has not even changed her ink yet! Anyway thanks for all your suggestions, I will keep checking back to see if anyone has any more ideas

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires