printer on and computer freezes...please help!

Amer 15:04 23 Feb 2008

Hi

I have a Sony Desk top operating Windows XP. I also have a colour Canon printer (ink jet, MP810). All has been fine for over a year but since yesterday, as soon as I put the colour printer on, the whole system freezes, can't even press ctrl alt delete to end tasks. Have to switch off and switch on computer. Everything else fine, just doesnt like the canon printer at the moment.

Any tips re where to start to solve the problem much appreciated!

Thansks

Amer

Pineman100 15:06 23 Feb 2008

I would uninstall and then reinstall the printer.

Pineman100 15:06 23 Feb 2008

PS: Restart your computer between the two functions.

Technotiger 15:09 23 Feb 2008

Also check all cable connections, might simply be slightly dislodged somewhere.

Amer 15:51 23 Feb 2008

Hi Everyone

Checked cables, uninstalled and reinstalled and still same problem, how can a printer bring a machine to a standstill??? Any other ideas would be really appreciated.

Amer

Technotiger 15:58 23 Feb 2008

A slight chance - try a System Restore back to before it started playing-up. Make sure you choose a restore date printed in Bold numerals.

Amer 16:18 23 Feb 2008

Thnaks

That was the first thing I tried, but to no avail

Thanks for suggestion though

Amer

Pineman100 16:39 23 Feb 2008

Have you looked on the Canon website to see whether there are any updated drivers you could download for your printer?

Technotiger 16:49 23 Feb 2008

How are you normally connecting the printer? via USB or Infra-red? Whichever way you are connecting, try the other way!

Amer 16:59 23 Feb 2008

Hi Everyone,

I have the appropriate drivers installed, and have only ever connected with USB, not sure my computer works with infra red, but will try if all else failsd.

But can't see why printer is suddently freezing computer when all has been fine for over a year

Amer

Technotiger 17:04 23 Feb 2008

Hmm, you would probably need a Infra-red Dongle if you don't already have one. Other than that, I can only suggest you try a different USB lead (they do go belly-up occasionally) and/or different USB Ports.

For Dongle click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?