Printer compatability for Wi-Fi

Ankermi31 15:41 04 Jan 2010

I currently use anEpson Stylus PhotoR200 which is perfectly adequate for what I require. This is situated alongside my main desktop computer operating XP.

If I go wi-fi this will link my laptop using Vista to the printer.

Before getting myself entangled in working out how to set up wi-fu I would like to find out if my existing printer will recognise wi-fi. Does anyone have the answer.

Thanks

james105051 16:34 04 Jan 2010

Your printer is not Wi-Fi enabled. For wireless printing you need a Wi-Fi enabled printer. You will however be able to share the printer from your main PC to your lappy, but to print from your lappy both the printer and the main PC will have to be switched on.

Devil Fish 00:43 05 Jan 2010

if you wish to go wireless with your printer which will involve purchasing a wireless print server

this should give you some info if you wish to go down that route

click here

Ankermi31 08:45 05 Jan 2010

Thanks James and Devil Fish for your replies.

Devil Fish, thanks for your link that is very useful. I do have a USB port on the computer not used a great deal, and a desktop USB hob with 3 connections, one for the printer and one is used for the flash drives and digital camera as and when whilst the third is generally "spare".

Is it comparatively easy to set wif-fi up I have no idea about what to get or what to do to be honest. Would you (tactifully now!) suggest that I get someone in to "sort" it for me or to give it a whirl?

Pineman100 18:08 07 Jan 2010

Hold on! Do you realise that you could buy a brand new wi-fi enabled printer for less money than the cost of that EpsonNet External Print Server?

For example: click here

Or have a look at this much cheaper wi-fi adaptor for your printer (but as it's made by HP, before you buy it just check that it will work with an Epson): click here

Ankermi31 20:11 07 Jan 2010

Hi Pineman,
Thanks for your helpful information. The Epson Printer you highlighted is certainly value for money however I have a virtually new Epson Perfection V500 Photo scanner so really do not need a printer with that additional facility but thanks all the same.

As for the wi-fi adaptor that is certainly worth checking out - thank you.

Ankermi

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017