Printer Canon PIXMA MP 210

Toria 14:16 26 Dec 2010

I have the above printer, although I am happy with it I do find the cartridges to buy rather expensive, is that another printer that I could purchase where perhaps the cartridges would be cheaper? Is it perhaps worth getting a laser printer? Any suggestions wouldbe much appreciated.
Thanks

961 14:29 26 Dec 2010

It depends on what you use the printer for

Laser printers have come on by leaps and bounds lately particularly if you don't need colour printing

You'll see threads on here relating to the cost of ink jets where the print head is part of the printer. In order to prevent the heads clogging up if the printer is not used for a while, or is kept in a warm room, much ink may be used in flushing the printer jets every time the printer is turned on. If the printer heads clog and can't be unclogged it may well be cheaper to buy a new printer rather than get it repaired

click here

Some printers have the print head in the actual ink cartridge so all this cleaning is not needed. If the print heads clog you simply buy a new cartridge. But it's also quite easy to unclog the print head yourself by taking out the cartridge and wiping the surface of the jets with a damp kitchen towel

HP printers in particular have many models like this. Some use only two cartridges, one black, one 3 colour. While folk can complain that the 3 colour job needs replacing when one of the three colours runs out, in actual cost terms the high capacity cartridges can be extremely inexpensive, and unless you want the highest quality colour photo prints, compatible cartridges are a fraction of the price

click here

If you buy a

961 14:37 26 Dec 2010

printer now look out for bargains in the sales

Printer ranges tend to refresh every 6 months or so. The older models are then discounted by as much as 50%

You really don't need the very latest upgrade, do you?

Of course not, Get the earlier job at half price

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?