Printer - amber light - faulty cartridges?

compumac 18:30 25 Sep 2008

I have Hewlett Packard printer that I have been using for many, many years and has provided good service using compatible cartridges - always from the same company. However there is a problem of late whereby when I insert a cartridge it prints for a few days and then the amber light on the printer comes on, which is an indication there is a fault with the cartridge. This has now happened on three successive occasions and whereas I put it down to faulty cartridges and the supplier has currently replaced the first one (I am awaiting a reply on the other two) I might very well be on the lookout for a replacement printer.
Current HP printer does not distinguish between HP cartridges and compatibles. I understand that more modern printers throw a wobbly upon insertion of compatible cartridges.
Comments anyone?

Kevscar1 18:46 25 Sep 2008

My Epson states it doesn't recognise the compatible but I just press OK then take it out and reinsert it and it works.

Technotiger 18:51 25 Sep 2008

My Epson R360 happily accepts compatible cartridges from click here

compumac 19:45 25 Sep 2008

Technotiger
I have also the Epson R800 photo printer with eight cartridges for which I buy only genuine cartridges and it is used solely for photos whereas the HP has just one colour and one black cartridge is for general printing. The R360 is a photo printer and I only want another printer for day to day printing.

alan2273 19:52 25 Sep 2008

I have an eight year old HP printer and always use compatables, if I get the amber light, I just switch it of and back on again and it clears and works OK.

compumac 19:56 25 Sep 2008

alan2273
That has worked for me in the past but the fault is now consistent.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017