printed pages counter

Boluwd 13:25 10 Feb 2007

My colour cartridge on the HP Deskjet 930c has run out of ink again! I record the date each time a new cartridge is installed, (the last one managed 5 months). However, my default setting on the printer is draft mode,greyscale black only.
Does anyone know of a freebie software that will log the number of sheets printed and if possible which ink mode was used. Most will probably think that 5 months is good going but I rarely print in colour.
Does the fact that I use black only mean that the colour ink is drying up? The ink is genuine HP product not refills.

Thanks.

brundle 13:47 10 Feb 2007

I've never used such a program but perhaps on of these print loggers might do the job; click here

p;3 14:17 10 Feb 2007

I use an hp deskjet 840 and seldom use the colour cartrige; I suggest that if it is seldom used it could be prone to dry up;

Arnie 14:27 10 Feb 2007

I always thought that upon switch-on, a deskjet printer will cause the cartridges to move back and forth a few times on the ink cleaning/parking platform.

This should in itself keep the nozzles from drying up.
There could still be ink in the cartridge.
If you are worried, why not carry out a nozzle check every so often?

Boluwd 19:45 12 Feb 2007

Thank you all for the responses. I bought a new double pack (£48.99!!!!!!) for both colour and black ink at the local PC World. Perhaps I should "smarten up" and buy refills, after all the printer must be around 6 to 7 years old by now.

brundle: thanks for the link, I downloaded the free version but it seems to produce a windows error message as it tries to update itself. I've downloaded a different one from click here
which seems to work and will fit the bill.
I entered "print counter" in Google instead of print logger......Doh!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?