Print Spooler fails to start

tallboy 21:30 31 Dec 2008

For some time (probably since I upgraded my 1.4GHz Athlon Mesh PC from Windows 2000 to Windows XP) my Creative SoundBlaster 5.1 has only been working on one speaker. Having checked out the Creative amps, subwoofer and speakers (which are working fine) I concluded that either the Creative audio card had developed a fault or the Creative software had got corrupted. Since I have the original Creative disk, I set about re-installing the software. I wish I hadn't!

Now, apart from the audio not working, I have 'more serious' problems. The most noticable is that the Print Spooler does not start up when the PC is started, even thought it is set to automatic. As a result the Printer Window in the Control Panel is devoid of printers. If you go into Administrative Tools, select Print Spooler, start it manually and then (After closing the Print Spooler window) try to close the Administrative Tools window, it won't close.

On checking the Applications in the Task Manager window, it shows Administartive Tools as not responding. If you force it tpo close and then try & open a program (or shut the PC down) you simply get an egg timer attached to the arrow. The only way to get out of it is with a hard power-down.

In addtion to this problem, two other things have happened (there may be more, but I haven't found them yet!) Firstly, the dial-up connections have been knocked out and when you open an application, it doesn't get added to the bar at the bottom of the screen.

I have used System Restore to go back to a Restore Point a couple of days earlier, but this hasn't fixed any of the problems.

I would welcome any suggestions as to how to resolve this mess!

Thanks

Tallboy

p.s. I'll be buying a new sound card once I get the PC functioning correctly!

mohawk32 21:34 31 Dec 2008

Obviously the sound card installation has corrupted your registry.

Simply insert your xp disc and repair your operating system

tallboy 10:27 01 Jan 2009

Thanks for the quick reply mohawk32. I set about doing an XP repair. However, having booted from the XP CD & loaded the necessary drivers, when XP got back to the DOS repair screen it gave me two otions or Windows for repair:

1. C:\Windows
2. D:\Windows

My XP installation is on C: drive - although I do have an old (non-operational) Windows 2000 OS on drive H: - which is a physically separate drive.

After choosing Option 1, I was then asked to enter the Administrator password. Now I use this every day to log into my PC so I know I can enter it right! (All lower case letters). However, on entering it, it was rejected!

I then went back into 'normal' XP mode, managed to get the Control Panel to open OK and get to the Users window and remove the administator p/w altogether. On the next start-up I went through the whole process again and when I got to the DOS XP repair screen, chose option 1 and simply hit return when it (still) asked for the administrators p/w, I was rejected yet again.

Any idea how I can get round this problem?

Thanks

Tallboy

tallboy 09:23 03 Jan 2009

I have now fixed the problem without resorting to an XP repair install. In searching on Goggle I came across a very good automatic repair company, Reimage. click here Once you give them permission they will remotely analyse yur PC and offer (for a fee) an automatic repair. Apparently they have a huge 'file warehouse' which is used to supply replacements for corrupt or missing files on your OS. (Apparently I had over 8,000). When you apply the fix, your OS is repaired using files from their warehouse. Their support is excellent. (I used it a couple of times during the fix and got a very fast response.)

Incidentally, the rejected password is a known fault with XP repair installs. There are KB articles on the MS website telling you how to oevercome it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?