print cartridge problems

steve-252371 20:03 14 Dec 2003

Ihave not used my lexmark printer for a couple of months.Now when i print a colour print i have to clean the cartridge,which only lasts untill the next day before it needs cleaned again.The cartridge is still half full but this continuous cleaning every time i need a colour print is driving me nuts.Please help.

Jester2K II 20:24 14 Dec 2003

Does the printer have the ink jet heads on the cartridges or are they fixed to the printer?

If on the cartidges try cleaning with Isopropanol from the chemists. If they are really blocked you may need new cartridges.

If fixed to the printer suply the model and someone might know how to fix it.

Dragon Heart 00:39 15 Dec 2003

Got a spare empty colour cartridge ? Try obtaining some flushing fluid from a local PC shop and partly fill all three tanks up with flushing solution and try to print a rainbow (uses all the coloured inks) then replace original cartridge.
To prevent further problems print your rainbow at least once a week if you are not using printer.

Wak 09:59 15 Dec 2003

Hi, does your printer switch on automatically with your computer??
If it does then the print heads are out in the open and drying out even if you don't actually use it.
I would suggest that you never plug your printer in unless you are going to use it and also just print a single line of Red, Blue and Yellow text once a week just to keep the ink flowing and the print heads unblocked.
The Lexmark Cleaning process uses an awful amount of ink so the single line of text (suggested above) will let you check the printing quality of each colour and also save ink.
If the heads get blocked, try standing the cartridge in about 1/4" of hot water (not boiling) in a saucer for 10 minutes then stand it on a damp paper tissue to help with the flow.
I hope this is of some help to you.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?