Print cartridge chips: are they easy to replace &

GaT7 11:28 01 Dec 2009

do I need a chip re-setter? Or is the latter only required when refilling cartridges?

Going to purchase non-chipped ink cartridges for the first time for my Canon iP4600 (click here) & need to know the above please. G

P.S. Considered a CISS, but don't think I need one as my present printing is not very much - around 2-3 A4 sheets a month

anniesboy 12:05 01 Dec 2009

I have a Canon iP42000 ,and used compatible cartridges and changed the chip. I used used a small screwdriver, all in all I found it too much of a fiddle.
I now use chipped compatible by Jet Tec from click here and find these much easier.

GaT7 12:29 01 Dec 2009

Thanks anniesboy, I guess I was trying to save money by going for non-chipped cartridges. G

anniesboy 12:35 01 Dec 2009

Yes I went down the save money route,initially but went for ease of use ,plus the ink level indicator works with chipped cartridges.
And with a small amount of printing the extra cost was not really an issue.

retep888 12:53 01 Dec 2009

Is this any good for you?

click here

retep888 12:58 01 Dec 2009

Link doesn't work

click here

Type ip4600 into search box

GaT7 13:21 01 Dec 2009

Thanks retep888, excellent prices there! Do you know if they are chipped cartridges as this is not specified? And have you used them before? G

GaT7 13:21 01 Dec 2009

By 'them' I meant this particular etailer. G

woodchip 13:26 01 Dec 2009

For the amount you are doing a Laser would be best unless they are Photos as they do not get clogged ink jets you do not have the problem of printer cleaning its self

GaT7 13:35 01 Dec 2009

"...you do not have the problem of printer cleaning its self"

Tell me about it woodchip! The printer does appear to waste a lot of ink doing just that - like in this complaint: 'Canon has set up MP980 to Deliberately waste ink' click here.

I can't see myself spending even more on a laser printer now though :-(. G

GaT7 15:36 01 Dec 2009

Right, I've since found that UKDVDR's cheapest cartridges costing about a £1 each are non-chipped ones. The chipped ones cost a bit more - £2.62 to be precise - which is still very good. Delivery charges are spoiling it though. I think I might just get the eBay chipped set (5 cartridges) for ~£10 delivered.

Thanks again everyone for your help & suggestions. G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?