Print via bluetooth / Wi-fi query

butthead69 13:43 25 Mar 2009

Hi, I have a laptop in my living room and a printer in my bedroom. Is it possible to use my printer via Bluetooth / Wi-fi? I've bought a dongle for my pc so I can connect to my mobile, but was wondering if I can purchase something similar to plug into my printer, so as I can connect it to my pc?

Or is the only option to by a wireless printer?

Thanks,

B

crosstrainer 15:13 25 Mar 2009

If you have a wireless router / modem, then yes you can. If not then no.

Assuming that you do, you will need to create a home network and enable file and print sharing...Installing the printer software on all machines you want to use it with.

If you have a wireless router (not the dongle for your mobile) post back with Operating system and router details :))

butthead69 21:36 25 Mar 2009

I've got a sky router, on vista

Charence 01:10 26 Mar 2009

crosstrainer's solution would require you to actually have a computer physically connected to the printer and switched on. You can then do as you wanted; wander around the house and print to the printer.

If you don't want the printer to be attached to any computer, you'll probably have to consider getting a print server, click here, but they seem a bit costly and it's probably cheaper to get a printer with built-in wireless or ethernet port which you can connect to your router.

butthead69 13:23 27 Mar 2009

Thanks for the replies. Very useful.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017