Primary and secondary IDE channel

Night Ryder 20:04 17 Oct 2004

This concerns a PC I'm trying to fix for someone at my place of work. In device manager the Primary and secondary IDE channels are displaying a yellow question mark and indicating that the driver is not correctly installed.

I've seen this kind of thing before in the past on may occasions over several different Op systems, from Window 95 to Windows XP. Always in the past all attempts to install the drivers, looking at Motherboard instalation disks etc., have failed. there seems to be no other way to fix it than to re-format the drive and re-install the OP system.

Does anyone know a way of getting these drivers back without a complete re-install?

Mikè 20:46 17 Oct 2004

Uninstall them (from within device manager) and then reboot, windows should install them correctly.

Night Ryder 23:26 17 Oct 2004

Should have added this to my first post, but yes I've already tried this and the system still remains with the same problem. Thanks for input anyway.

JonnyTub 23:48 17 Oct 2004

repait the installation rather then reinstalling.

JonnyTub 23:49 17 Oct 2004

"repait" you know what i mean :-)

Night Ryder 00:17 18 Oct 2004

Problem is, because it effects the IDE channels I can no longer see the CD-ROM. This means I cannot use the install disk to perform a repair.

Looks like every door is closed at the moment unless someone else has a suggestion. Will probably have to re-install as I have had to do in the past.

JonnyTub 00:21 18 Oct 2004

you should still be able to to do a restore. Use a boot disk, which should install the basic cd-rom attributes and follow the repair process by typing setup.exe at the command prompt.

I have a feeling i haven't explained this very well :-'(

Night Ryder 22:30 25 Oct 2004

Thanks for all suggestions. I've just re-installed the system "Windows 2000" and the problem is still there. I beleive there may be a problem with the mother board.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?