Primary hard drive fails - next steps?

PCA reader 11:37 23 Sep 2005

I had the above msg last week. I rebooted and got as far as the XP User sign on screen before I heard the dreaded 'clicking' noise from the hard disk and system froze.
I rebooted using my recovery CD, Windows setup (blue screen) started and some files were copied/loaded before the clicking started again and system froze.
My assumption was that the disk is knackered and so I purchased a replacement. Original was a WD1000JB Caviar just 3 year old and replacement is WD1600JB Caviar.
I've installed the new disk and set jumpers to cable select.
My question is whether it is best to also install the old disk, again with cable select but daisy chained off the ribbon cable for new disk, and then use my recovery CD or merely forget the old disk altogether.
It would be useful if I could retrieve some of the recent unbackedup data but don't want to cause more problems by installing a duff disk.
Advice gatefully received.
Machine is 3 yrs old, Evesham AMD1600+ with 512 memory.

John

PCA reader 11:41 23 Sep 2005

Apols I think this should have been posted in the beginners forum.
John

DieSse 12:45 23 Sep 2005

It's no problem here, at all - in fact more likely to get quicker attention normally.

It's not a bad idea to put in your old drive and see if you can recover data from it. It may be better to put it on the secondary ide cable (in place of an optial drive, temporarily), whilst you see what files you can recover from it.

It's extremely unlikely to cause any problems - so much so that I would do so without hesitation.

PCA reader 13:17 23 Sep 2005

Thanks, I feeling more comfortable by the minute.

Just to confirm .... I've got a CD read/write drive and DVD reader drive. One is daisy chained off the other.
So can I replace the 2nd in the chain with my old hard drive drive and use same cable? Also can the old drive jumpers be left to cable select?

Thanks again.
John

woodchip 13:26 23 Sep 2005

First thing to do as it may just be a bad block is go to my computer, double click the icon right click C:\ drive Click properties tools click check disc restart computer for it to scan and mark out any bad bit on the drive. after the above you would do well to run SFC /SCANNOW to restore files that have got lost damaged If you have a Full XP CD. If not you could still try unning it as Files may be on the Hard Drive

PCA reader 13:53 23 Sep 2005

Woodchip - thnx but I can't boot up using the suspect drive and so can't get to My Computer etc.

I've purchased a new drive and will recover XP using my recovery CD and boot thereafter using that.
However if I install the suspect drive as a secondary and follow your actions (using D:\ or whatever instead of C:\ )does that only recover XP files or is there another action I can use to recover/access user data on the disk?

I said this should be in the novice forum!!
John

smudge101 14:03 23 Sep 2005

You could make a rescue boot CD, see click here

This make a windows xp style interface with no need for a hard drive. You will be able to use windows explorer to view any files on the disk, See if you can see/recover any of your files to USB drive/secondary hard drive or burn tham to a CD.

If you cannot see any file the boot CD also has tools that helps you to recover lost data from a dodgy had drive.

Hope this helps.

smudge101 14:04 23 Sep 2005

APOLOGIES for the bad typing, trying to eat lunch!

woodchip 18:23 23 Sep 2005

Before you do anything. try this click here at the bottom of the page. It works with other drives also. After creating the floppy disc you should boot the computer with it in the floppy drive

DieSse 09:10 24 Sep 2005

I wouldn't recommend you to try any recovery procedure from your old drive, until you have tried simply copying things from t - matters might be made worse.

I would suggest, after setting up the new drive, don't change any jumpers on your old one - just take the cable off the rear of both the optical drives, then put your old one onto either connector.

When you start up again, hopefully you will see the old drive in the system, and be able to start copying some old data from it.

Don't go to the bother of mounting the drive in the cabinet (if it's already out!) - as long as t's balanced securely (Iusually use a small cardboard box) - then it'll run fine for the purpose of trying to copy data from it.

PCA reader 09:17 24 Sep 2005

Thanks to you all. I will follow DieSse's hints and if that fails try some more serious disk diags. I've looked at the WD site and it has a number of seemingly useful tools.

Thanks again.
John

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?