preventing microphone screeching noise

VNAM75 15:28 14 Feb 2008

I have a mic connected to my pc (xp) which I use for skype. But when I turn on the volume I have to do so slowly otherwise I get a large screeching noise if the volume is too high.

My toshiba laptop (vista) doesn't have this problem - I can have the volume as high as I like.

Is this due to the pc having separate speakers or is it a sound setting in xp I need to change?

interzone55 15:33 14 Feb 2008

The screeching is caused because the microphone is picking up the speakers, so you get feedback. laptop microphones are shielded so that this doesn't happen.

The way to stop this is to keep the microphone behind the speakers, so that the sound from the speakers doesn't reach the microphone.

Another answer is to use a headset microphone.

crosstrainer 15:34 14 Feb 2008

Your speaker's will help....Too close and you get feedback (the screeching you mantion) try and get an extension cable for you mic and move away from the speakers.

crosstrainer 15:38 14 Feb 2008

doh!!! must type faster :)

VNAM75 15:45 14 Feb 2008

That explains it. Its not practical for me to move the mic behind or away from the speakers so I will just use the laptop. Its wirelessly connected but the sound quality is surprisingly just as good. Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017