Preventing an instal overwriting files

Ol' Greyhair 00:17 06 Feb 2004

I've looked all over but can't seem to find any info relating to my question. If I've missed it - my apologies - please point me to it but is there any way to prevent an installation overwriting current shared, system or other important files with older versions.
I know some software installs are good enough to ask if it's OK to overwrite an existing file but most just go ahead and do it.
Am I missing something bog simple? Is there a utility out there which will monitor the instal and prompt (not just log changes when they're done)?
Anything really.
Ol' Greyhair

hugh-265156 00:23 06 Feb 2004

what is it you are trying to install.most software will keep your user settings in the reg even after you uninstall it just incase you install again or upgrade to a newer version.unless you are prompted to remove user settings when you uninstall.

Ol' Greyhair 00:53 06 Feb 2004

Huggyg71 - thanks for reply. I've not got any specific software in mind, it's just that over time, a lot of OS files get changed by some new program software install. Often no real problem but I just feel it would be useful to have the ability to yea or nay some dll or other getting replaced in the nitty gritty bits of the system.
Ol' Greyhair

hugh-265156 01:08 06 Feb 2004

gotya.

use the sfc command to check for and replace any missing,incorrect or damaged system files.

im pretty sure in xp/win2k and win me its start/run type "sfc /scannow" click ok.

in older versions its start/run type "sfc" click ok.

you may be prompted to insert your windows cdrom(if your os was pre installed you wont)

Ol' Greyhair 14:03 06 Feb 2004

huggyg71,
Cheers. It's because I've used sfc from time to time that I posted. It's OK to use if I've got the odd few hours free but it's annoying that all those files got changed without anything letting me know it was happening at the time.
It's even more annoying when I've updated a part of the system etc, only to have some bit of newly installed software pull a few files back to previous versions.
I am certain that this overwriting can and does cause problems.
Why can't a utility such as sfc be used to monitor a likely change as it is happening rather than having to wade through loads of files afterwards.
I was just wondering is there such a bit of software out there somewhere?
Ol' Greyhair

ventanas 14:30 06 Feb 2004

Me and XP have system file protection, which, in theory, prevents this problem.

Used to drive me nuts with '95 and '98. At one time I had 7 different versions of mfc42. There are a few other "notorious" files oleau32 for example. I can only suggest taking a copy of any you suspect may be changed in the future, or copy the entire system folder somewhere.

Occasionally a file must be overwritten in order for a program to work. In that case after installing, copy the overwriten file to the new program's folder, and replace the original into System.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone