Preventing Folder deletetion and Yahoo Messenger

Stuart Leyland 10:20 19 Apr 2003

Hi.

At home, we have two computers which are networked. All documents are saved onto my computer and then shared across the network.

One folder of my sister's is called "My Chat Logs" and comes from a program called Messenger Plus (click here for its website). This program automatically saves her conversations in MSN Messenger. As she is only 11, this was the request of my Mum and Dad so they could monitor her if necessary.

As she learns more about computers, I am worried that she will find the folder and delete it, or it's contents. What I need is a way to prevent this folder being deleted. Any suggestions about how this could be achieved would be extremely valuable.

My computer, where the documents are stored, is running Windows XP Home Edition on a FAT32 hard drive and her computer is running Windows 98SE.

Also, is it possible to save the conversations in Yahoo Messenger? As I do not use this program, I do not know myself and I'm sure she would appreciate my looking on her computer! If it is an option in the program or there is some other program that enables this, I would be glad to hear of it.

Kind regards
Stuart

Offline 10:46 19 Apr 2003

If you find the log folder, right click/properties, tick hidden it's unlikely she will find it.

Stuart Leyland 10:49 19 Apr 2003

Hi Offline.

Fantastic idea! Simply yet affective (I hope). Once she gets her lazy bum out of bed I'll have a tinker.

Cheers.

powerless 13:06 19 Apr 2003

Yahoo Messenger.

In the buddy list Window...

Login > Preferences... > Archive > "Enable Archiving" > Click "Apply" then read what it says then click "ok".

Any messages sent and recieved will be saved to the following folder...

C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\Profiles\*HER USERNAME*\Archive\Messages

However the messages are saved as DAT files, now yahoo make so that these files cannot be read with NOTEPAD. They have to be read within yahoo messenger. So that means that you would have to have her log in and then you can read all the messages.

To do this > Tools > Message Archive...

All messages can be read from here.

Stuart Leyland 13:14 19 Apr 2003

Excellent Powerless! That's just what I wanted to know.

Regards,
Stuart

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?