Prevent childrens PC from accessing network.

Antz 19:07 23 Aug 2008

I have two "home office" PC's networked via LAN. However the children's PC uses the same router to access the internet and by default are able to access files on the two office PC's ( because some files are set to sharing). Is there any way I can remove the Childrens PC from the network whilst still giving them acces to the router in order to get on the'net. My biggest concern is security, as much as I have taught them to stay away from file sharing sites I am terrified they will download something that can spread to the (Very Important) office PC's.

All P.c's run XP.

Cheers in advance.
Anthony

mgmcc 20:11 23 Aug 2008

In the "Properties" of the network adapter in the children's PC, untick (or even Uninstall) "Client for Microsoft Networks".

You could also use fixed IP addresses throughout your LAN and configure firewall software in your PCs so that the IP address of the children's PC isn't allowed access.

dawood 13:47 24 Aug 2008

Do this on children's PC:

1) Go to Start and click on Control Panel.

2) Control Panel window will appear. Double click on Network Connections.

3) Network Connections window will appear. Right click correct Local Area Connection by identifying correct network card and click Properties.

4) Untick "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks" and "Client for Microsoft Networks" options. Click Apply and ok at last.

Also ensure that you've enabled windows firewall on your office computer. Here are more tips on how to secure your wired network click here , take a look if you like..

Hope it helps..

mgmcc 14:59 24 Aug 2008

Disabling "File & Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks" in the children's PC *WON'T* have any effect on their ability to access the network shares in *YOUR* PC, it only prevents folders being shared in their PC.

It is the "Client for Microsoft Networks" which is the one that must be disabled.

Antz 16:26 24 Aug 2008

Thanks for your assistance with this,really appreciated.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Nokia 8 vs Galaxy S8

Best new design books 2017: From vintage infographics to the the psychology of type

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Nokia 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie