prevent ask.com as home page

bernvs 20:07 07 Feb 2014
Answered

how can I stop ask.com appearing as my home page each time I sign in despite setting an alternative page as my home page in Internet Settings and restarting.

rdave13 20:30 07 Feb 2014

Check add-ons in all of your browsers and remove all that's not wanted. Then check programs and features and remove toolbars and other unknown programs that have been installed inadvertently. Reboot and either re-set browsers or manually change the search engines and home pages.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:34 07 Feb 2014

As above

Adwcleaner will remove a lot of toolbars and addons easily

rdave13 21:02 07 Feb 2014

Please read the info on Fruit Bat /\0/\ 's link to Bleeping Computer's download of AdwCleaner. It's a good program but not fool proof as you might need some programs it might identify wrongly. So take your time to select what to remove (option available now I think) in the latest version.

bernvs 18:34 09 Feb 2014

I followed the suggestions and eventually found a page "click here which pointed to some programs relating to Bandoo products. This led me to one program in my program file which I deleted and on restart found ask.com had disappeared. Many thanks for your help. Now resolved.

Woolwell 20:36 09 Feb 2014
Answer

Ask gets downloaded with updates to some programs (notably Java). You need to check carefully at every stage and probably uncheck the box.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?