Premium rate dialer

Just wondering 06:18 02 Mar 2004

Can anyone provide some advice on the following please. A work colleague (honest) has recently received his telephone bill which included a £30 call to an adult site in Spain, which he is adamant he did not make. Unfortunately, he does not have any AV software or a firewall (being resolved to day). He connects to the internet for short periods of time to do on-line banking and check out his holidays etc and it would appear that whilst he is connected to his regular ISP somehow he has also been connected to a premium rate number.

I am guessing that this is some sort of Backdoor/Trojan horse virus but would, if only for my own education, appreciate some feed back. Many thanks

y_not 06:24 02 Mar 2004

click here for some information

y_not 06:24 02 Mar 2004

click here for some information

Jester2K 07:21 02 Mar 2004

Scan with SpyBot click here

Jester2K 07:21 02 Mar 2004

Scan with SpyBot click here

tanith 10:25 02 Mar 2004

I had the same problem, BT informed me that there were calls going to a premium rate number via the internet so I have a block on all premium rate numbers, it saves a fortune. You then need to check your connections in internet explorer, tools, internet options, connections then delete anything unusual. It worked for me

tanith 10:25 02 Mar 2004

I had the same problem, BT informed me that there were calls going to a premium rate number via the internet so I have a block on all premium rate numbers, it saves a fortune. You then need to check your connections in internet explorer, tools, internet options, connections then delete anything unusual. It worked for me

Just wondering 18:30 02 Mar 2004

Many thanks, he has been suitably admonished and has gone off to buy an AV package and keep it up to date!

As an aside, I understand that BT said they were unable to block premium rates dialed from PC's. Seems a good way to gain a few extra pounds from the old customer.

I wonder how he would have faired if he had lost money from his bank account and then told them he had no AV protection!

Just wondering 18:30 02 Mar 2004

Many thanks, he has been suitably admonished and has gone off to buy an AV package and keep it up to date!

As an aside, I understand that BT said they were unable to block premium rates dialed from PC's. Seems a good way to gain a few extra pounds from the old customer.

I wonder how he would have faired if he had lost money from his bank account and then told them he had no AV protection!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?