Pre Installed Windows 7 Professional

happyhotspur 09:43 15 Dec 2010

My Dell laptop came with Windows 7 Professional pre installed, but how do I obtain back up copies of the disk, should I ever need to reinstall it.

I have tried to e-mail Dell several times but can never get an answer.

There was a mention of a Dell data-store but I have never been able to work it out.

All I want is copies of my operating system just in case I ever need them, after all as it came preinstalled I paid for them?

iscanut 09:46 15 Dec 2010

There are normally instructions and info on how to create a recovery CD/DVD which will include what you need to reinstall windows. Check with Dell if you can't find out about it.

happyhotspur 10:17 15 Dec 2010

I have not been able to locate any information about creating a recovery disk, but will look again, as for contacting Dell without being charged a ridiculous amount of money on their premium rate telephone lines I might as well try contacting Santa Clause, its almost impossible.

Thanks for your propmt reply

HondaMan 10:51 15 Dec 2010

Check through your "all programs" section carefully. Most decent manufacturers install some kind of program to let you create a set of disks. Failing that, buy a copy of Acronis Image and make a full bootable backup before doing anything else!

lotvic 12:11 15 Dec 2010

Dell no longer provides the operating system or resource disks in the box for Windows 7 Systems. It is important for you to create recovery disks in case of a hard drive failure. If you do not create the recovery disks, there may be a charge from Dell for the operating system recovery media.
Dell W7 Creating Your System Recovery Discs with Dell DataSafe Local Backup 2.0 Article ID: 266282
click here

happyhotspur 15:02 15 Dec 2010

I have followed your help but when i get into the Dell web page and follow their instructions I click the 'all programs' and the Dell Datasafe Local Backup 2.0 is not there.

This was my original problem and that's when I gave up trying to contact Dell as I just went around in circles.

They do not supply disks and make it impossible to contact them when their backup program is missing off the machine. Around and around in circles I seem to be going.

lotvic 21:04 15 Dec 2010

What model number is your Dell laptop?

Terry Brown 10:34 18 Dec 2010

There is avery good FREE backup system from Paragon.
Well worth a look.

Download the program
Create a Recovery CD from the program
Backup to an external drive.
done.
Terry
click here

sharpamat 10:58 18 Dec 2010

Look on Dells support site enter your model and it will give the information have to make a set of recovary discs

also Have a look in control Pannel / back up your computer,

Your copy of Windows 7 Professional should have the option to make a disk image. Advice is to obtain an external drive and seve the image to that, you can then make a disc which you can boot from to restore the image you saved

sharpamat 11:04 18 Dec 2010

Thest lins to dell may help

click here

click here

happyhotspur 11:12 18 Dec 2010

I have now managed to download the Dell DataSafe program and guess what when i tried to run it it would not recognise the DVD rewritable discs I tried to use, It was also too big a download to work on my 2GB memory stick.

But a result I managed to eventually make contact with dell and as my machine is still under warranty they have said they will courier to me the required discs as a one off.

Don't know what discs they will send but am assuming my Windows 7 Pro disc, but with the present weather will just wait and see if they turn up.

Many thanks to all the help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?