A pox on winxp prof and updates-now I cant log in

belcanto 00:09 25 May 2005

Hi there-am having the same problems as before, I've tried the Reboot in safe mode, click on start, run, type "control userpasswords2" click ok. A control panel window opens, this is the default user and password window. Uncheck the box titled "users must enter a password to this computer. click apply, a second box will open. Enter the user name you want to use and the a new password.No joy.
Have also tried the press F8 during rebooting your machine until it comes up with some options (Safe Mode ect. ect.) and choose the following: start windows with the last known good configuration. Still no joy.

Can anyone tell me what else that I can do-I can not get past the win xp log in window. Ironically it all started because i tried to be security concious and download an update from microsoft. NEVER AGAIN. Crossbow7, any ideas?

belcanto

Cuddles 17:16 25 May 2005

you need to delete your pwl settings then log in as a new user

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:55 25 May 2005

Boot in safe mode log in as the administrator (which you haven't set a password for)

Then you can change the password in the user accounts.

belcanto 20:41 25 May 2005

Cuddles can you tell me how do i delete my pwl, also to fruit bat. I told you, that even though I can boot into safe mode, I cant get past the log in screen. Any more ideas would be welcome.

belcanto

Technotiger 20:45 25 May 2005

Hi, perhaps you could go through the F8 routine again, but then instead of using Last known good configeration, opt to start in Safe Mode?

Cheers.

stalion 20:48 25 May 2005

try this courtesy of VOG
Restart and keep tapping F8 to bring up the Boot Menu. Select Command Prompt. At the > prompt type
C:\windows\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

and press the Enter key to launch System Restore.

lotvic 00:50 26 May 2005

Try click here
""Use the built-in Administrator account. For XP Professional, press CTRL + ALT + DEL twice at the Welcome Screen and input your Administrator password in the classic logon window that appears.""
(type in 'Administrator' as the password)

Or this: click here

belcanto 15:02 28 May 2005

Thanks alot everyone for your help-have printed off the solution so i at least now know what to do if it happens again.

belcanto

lotvic 11:47 29 May 2005

Please, tell us which solution worked!

Share your knowledge :))

belcanto 18:35 31 May 2005

Hi-I went to click here as yuo suggested and then followed the instructions.

Many thanks as I said for the help-belcanto

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

11 best portfolio websites for designers and artists

Office for Mac buying guide: Price, Office 2017 rumours & new features

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?