Powerline questions

geoff47 00:05 21 Apr 2009

I have only recently discovered powerline networking, but still cannot get my head around it.
How do the PC's share a cable internet connection ?
Or are the basic two plugin type devices purely for PC to PC networking ?

Im sure there is a simple answer I have failed to grasp.
Many thanks in advance.

ambra4 11:03 21 Apr 2009

Take a read

What is Power Line Networking?

click here

How Power-line Networking Works

click here

dms_05 11:11 21 Apr 2009

The Homeplug uses the mains wiring to replace long runs of LAN cable, it's nothing spectacular just another way to route the Network and/or Internet.

I'm on ADSL and I simply plug one Homeplug into the modem/router LAN socket and then have other plugs around the house where other computers have their own Homeplug and LAN cable.

Each computer has it's own independent access to the Internet and doesn't need any other computer to be switched on.

geoff47 15:51 22 Apr 2009

It seems too good to be true.
I plug the Homeplug into parallel port and the other end to a power point, and other PC's connected in the same way can access each other through the same electric mains circuit ?
Nothing else is required at all ?
Is this item what I needclick here

ambra4 16:30 22 Apr 2009

"I plug the Homeplug into parallel port"

Not to sure what you mean “parallel port”

The way that all home plug work is one unit is connected to an Ethernet port on a Router/Modem

and the other is connected to a device that require Internet or local network access via the

electrical wiring in the house

SimpleSimon1 16:50 22 Apr 2009

Personally, I think it's black magic :-)

XP Desktop connected to my ADSL modem/router. Just purchased 2 Solwise 200AV Homeplugs. This morning, plugged one into the mains socket next to my desktop, ran the [supplied] ethernet cable from the plug to one of the LAN sockets on the router.

Put the other homeplug into any electricity socket in the house, hit the little button to make them 'join up' and 30 secs later plug the second [supplied] ethernet cable into the LAN socket on my laptop.

That's it....I'm now working in the conservatory and my laptop is using the internet connection in my office. If I want to move into the lounge, just unplug the laptop, move the homeplug into a socket in the lounge, plug back into the laptop and everything reconnects......I can't believe how easy it was.

Haven't worked out how to swap files around yet but, hey, that's what this forum is for :-)

For £40 each, I'm going to get a couple more and forget about fighting with the wi-fi.

(Exits singing the old Monkey's ditty "I'm a Believer")...

geoff47 19:00 22 Apr 2009

ambra4 I got the parallel port from your link click here

But I think there are several systems from what I can gather.

Let me go over this again, because it still hasn't sunk in yet.
I have Virgin cable broadband, I would connect the Powerline adaptor directly to the modem, and then plug it to a power socket. Then the PC connects to the internet and other connected Powerline adaptors, via the household mains circuit ?

Please take a look at this click here, a starter kit of a pair for £46.46 ?
Is that the same as SimpleSimon1 ? Obviously a cheapskate version, but the same idea ?

I am slow to catch up, but as I said before it seems amazingly simple and clever.
Thanks for your combined patience.

SimpleSimon1 22:39 22 Apr 2009

I think ambra's link is pretty old. AFAIK, the Homeplug technology only uses Ethernet/LAN connections and I never seen a solution using parallel ports.

Solwise are one particular company who make plugs using the Homeplug (sometimes called Powerline) technology.

click here is their summary of what this technology is all about but if you Google for Homeplug, you'll find similar overviews from other manufacturers who also use the technology to produce their versions of the plugs

As you'll see from these sources, your understanding of how they work is correct. If I was going to be pedantic, I'd say that (assuming you've got an ADSL router), it doesn't matter whether your PC is switched on or not. Switching on the router should automatically establish your broadband connection and, assuming the router is connected to a Homeplug device, any other PC on the network can then use that internet connection, regardless of whether the first PC is on or not.

The devices you've mentioned are the same idea as what I was talking about. Just like modems, lots of companies use the same technology and produce their version of it. The thing to watch out for is the speed that the devices can handle. Your Novatech ones are 85Mbps, my Solwise ones are 200Mbs - most suppliers do both types, the latter being more expensive.

If you're looking to stream media (music, video) over the network, you **might** find that the lower speed ones struggle to keep up depending on how much other network traffic you've got. The 200Mbps ones can generally handle plenty of media traffic (but are, of course, more expensive.)

Note: I don't believe you can mix Homeplugs of different speeds on the same network. Whether you can mix Homeplugs of the same speed but different manufacturers is a bit more of tricky point. Manufacturers would obviously say "not advised" but I believe some people have tried it. Good luck in trying to get support if you do have a problem though!

All the best

geoff47 12:48 23 Apr 2009

Many thanks SimpleSimon1, you are not THAT simple are you ?
The idea is so simple, and it doesn't sound right, because you are not connecting the modem/router directly to the PC.......thats the bit that threw me.
I run a small shop and would like an internet connection downstairs in the shop, and the ability to 'see' the shop PC for catching up with stock etc. during the evening.
It would seem the cheapy version would do that job easily enough.
Thanks all.

scouse55 12:09 07 Jun 2010

Cant get my head round this, do you need a specific make for virgin broadband

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?