Powerline Question

Davy 43 13:11 26 Jul 2009

Hi,

Looking at going down the route of 'Powerline Networking' to enhance my present WiFi network.

I'm a total novice as far as powerline is concerned but I have a simple question (from a simple person!). I would imagine in an average home that most people have their access point downstairs where master BT socket is situated (that's where mine is, plugged into modem/router)
So my question is: If the router is downstairs, & you require a powerline connection to a PC upstairs (my home has a standard two ring-main circuit, one ground floor & one first floor) how does the connection work on seperate power circuits, or doesn't it?

Thanks in advance.

David.

mgmcc 23:10 26 Jul 2009

As no-one else has responded, I have no personal experience of networking with Powerline adapters, but understand that for it to work all adapters need to be on the *SAME* ring-main.

Davy 43 09:34 27 Jul 2009

Thanks for the response mgmcc.

TonyM 13:17 27 Jul 2009

They will work on seperate rings as long as they are connected to the same consumer unit (don't ask me how).

ebuyer currently have a pair on offer at £29.99 -

click here

I have some and highly recommend them ....and if you look at the review comments, this question is answered.

Davy 43 00:18 29 Jul 2009

Thanks tonyM. I have since been told that the adaptors actually use the earth circuit, so irrespective of the ring mains used, all earths connect to consumer unit.

Will look to purchase some,

Thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone