Powerline Extender (without wifi) connected to router (300Mbs)

katuska305 17:15 30 Mar 2015

Hi, in the house I just moved in (two floors) theres a problem with the walls and although the distance is not big, the wifi drops to 1 line in my room. We tried extender, it is quite fine, but my neighbour cant play games so we rather invest to something better.

Powerlines are better since the signal should not drop as it uses the power cables.

So I read this one click here rather good.

However my laptop's ethernet socket (well, where you plug in the cable) is proken, so my laptop can use only a wifi.

At home i have this touter which works good click here despite being cheap. but its only 300Mbs so

I was wondering, does it make sense to invest into an expensive extender (1200Mbs but actually im not 100% sure the 1200 is the Mbs or whatever the AV means next to the numbers) and then cheaper 300Mbs router? Or should I just buy also a 500Mbs Powerline adapter and it will be the same as the touter might slow it down with its 300Mbs?

Thanks in advance!

All i want is a reliable connection and to watch HD.

is

bumpkin 17:43 30 Mar 2015

You will be lucky to get 300Mbs whatever you use so go for the cheaper option.

bumpkin 17:44 30 Mar 2015

The figures quoted are "UP TO"

wee eddie 17:49 30 Mar 2015

Homeplug and similar products, that have a WiFi Unit at the other end, promise all sorts of speeds

Buy the fastest and hope for the best

Secret-Squirrel 18:03 30 Mar 2015

"All i want is a reliable connection and to watch HD."

In that case, don't waste your money on super-fast powerline adapters and get this instead. The only reason for buying expensive top-of-the-range adapters is if you want to transfer very large files at ultra-fast speeds across your network. Your Internet download speed is the slowest link in your system and it will be massively slower than 200mbps so there's no need to buy powerline adapters that are any faster as they can never increase your broadband speed.

katuska305 20:54 30 Mar 2015

thanks a lot everyone!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?