Powerless - Please help!

biteblue 18:47 15 Sep 2006

I have built a new PC for myself a couple of months ago. The specs are as follows:

Windows XP Home
Pentium 4 Prescott LGA775 Processor
Nvidia GeForce 7300GS Graphics (PCIX)
DVD-ReWriter
Gigabite GA-8I915P Duo Motherboard
1 SATA 80GB HD
2 ATA100 HDD (attached to raid controller and in JBOD)
400W PSU

I bought a new SATA (160GB) HDD and installed it along with a new 80MM fan. After i installed them i press the Power button and i heard a click form my power supply and the cases LCD temperature display flashed. The system is powerless. I have stripped the PC down a rebuilt it and checked the PSU fuse but i have had no luck. I can reset the PSU by disconnecting the power for 5 seconds but i still only get a flash and a click.

I would greatly appreciate any help.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:57 15 Sep 2006

voltage switch on PSU set to 250 not 110v?

disconnect all drives and just leave, mobo cpu ram and grahics card, retry, see if it boots to error message boot disk failure.

if still no good then may be mobo shorting to case rety above with mobo on newspre out of case.

ade.h 19:02 15 Sep 2006

When I saw your thread title, I thought you specifically wanted help from Powerless, but I see what you mean now!

biteblue 19:13 15 Sep 2006

I have tried the mother board with only CPU RAM and Graphics only but still no power.

But what does "newspre out of case" mean?

What would cause the mobo to short? I checked the motherboard for screws before trying it as i always do.

Thanks for your reply.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:22 15 Sep 2006

should of read:
try with mobo on a sheet of newspaper out of the case.

sometimes the motherboard shorts to the case on the metal stand offs.

biteblue 19:29 15 Sep 2006

If the motherbored has been shorted is there any chance that it may have damaged it in any way? i.e. the northbride or BIOS being damaged?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:16 15 Sep 2006

no it probably will be ok

sorting to case often just overloads the PSU like yours sounds it is doing by clicking out.

the-george 20:22 15 Sep 2006

I once had a similar problem and it turned out to be the reset button that was jammed in thus causing the Pc to continually try and reboot and the screen just kept flashing. When I freed it up everything went back to normal.

Input Overload 22:00 15 Sep 2006

On the plastic multi-block power connectors to the mainboard have you checked all the small sockets are correctly aligned to fit on too the mainboard pins, they can be too high to fit onto the pins and may need pushing down with a small screwdriver, even 1 pin not connecting could be enough. Just a thought.

Input Overload 22:07 15 Sep 2006

BTW, I don't want to be insulting but if your board uses the small 4 pin power connector for the CPU is it connected as it's easy to forget it, as I did once did.

biteblue 18:01 16 Sep 2006

I have tried the mobo out of the case but i am still experiencing the same problems. I have also tried it with a diffrent PSU.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?