Powering Off

steviegee 11:25 25 Sep 2008

When I shutdown PC it says 'Windows XP - it is now safe to turn off PC' and I have to switch the power off manually. How do I do it so it turns of the power off automatically? I assume something in the bios needs changing.

Technotiger 11:40 25 Sep 2008
  steviegee 11:57 25 Sep 2008

Thanks Technotiger but I have limited internet access here. What does that link say!!??

birdface 12:06 25 Sep 2008

Windows XP only: double-click the Power Options icon in Control Panel, select the APM tab, and turn on the Enable Advanced Power Management support option.
If all is well, Windows should power down your system the next time you shut down.

birdface 12:09 25 Sep 2008

The exact words are. Have Windows Power Down Your Computer Automatically

Intended For
Windows XP
Windows 2000
Windows Me
Windows 98

I first noticed it on my laptop - whenever I chose Shut Down from the Start Menu, I would never see the "It's safe to turn the computer off" screen - the system would simply power down. In order to configure your computer to behave this way, you need the following circumstances:

If you're using a desktop (as opposed to a portable) computer, you must have a newer-style ATX case and motherboard.
You can tell an ATX system from the power button - if it's a momentary pushbutton (that doesn't stay in when you press it), you've likely got an ATX case. This allows the computer to shut itself off.

Secondly, you must have Power Management enabled in your BIOS - enter your BIOS setup when first starting your computer (usually by pressing the DEL key), and make sure any options labelled Advanced Power Management, APM, or APM-aware OS are enabled.

Windows XP only: double-click the Power Options icon in Control Panel, select the APM tab, and turn on the Enable Advanced Power Management support option.
If all is well, Windows should power down your system the next time you shut down.

Notes:

If the Power or Power Options (depending on your version of Windows) icon does not appear in your Control Panel, Windows isn't recognizing your computer's power management features. Run the Add New Hardware wizard and have it automatically detect any new hardware to force it to recognize APM. If that doesn't work, check the manual that came with your system or motherboard for more information on enabling Advanced Power Management support - you may have to get a motherboard BIOS update from the manufacturer.

For Windows 2000 and Windows XP, you may have to update your HAL to install full support for APM.

steviegee 12:16 25 Sep 2008

Thanks all is well.

Technotiger 13:14 25 Sep 2008

Hi, did you not read my link above ?? LoL ......

Technotiger 13:15 25 Sep 2008

I just re-read steviegee's response to my post - so the LoL's are on me!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?