Powered off comp..now its a mess

ash135 19:32 02 Feb 2009

HI there, i really need help...
this is what happened, my computer was acting slow so i powered it off instead of shutting it down. when i restarted my comp it was slower, the back of the screen of the log on page was black but safe mode was not in all four corners, when i logged in my wallpaper showed, the icons looked like it was in safe mode, the tool bar on the bottom is covered in a white strip and i can not access "START" when i click on files or programs it does not allow me online ( when i have an excellent wireless connection) also i clicked on a few icons and it said something about an error with the application configuration. please help idk what is going on.

Clapton is God 20:05 02 Feb 2009

System Restore?

Strawballs 10:02 03 Feb 2009

while booting up keep pressing F8 then when the options apear choose last known good configuration. If not choose safe mode and as Clapton is God suggests use system restore via this. You did not state which O/S we are assuming at least XP or newer.

LinH 10:03 03 Feb 2009

Bad move powering off. Most times you'll get away with it but then........

The file system probably now has some corrupted files due to the sudden shutdown. As Clapton is God says, try a system restore, otherwise it could mean a Windows repair job.

LiH

Strawballs 10:15 03 Feb 2009

click here How to do a repair install without loosing data or documents

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Interview: Camille Walala on her giant 3D installation inspired by childhood funfair visits

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Où regarder le British Open 2017 ?