Powerdown Problem--Stumped!

warthog01 11:43 11 Feb 2005

I'm running XP Pro and have a powerdown delay that's driving me nuts. When I shutdown (or restart), the system charges right through Windows shutdown--saves my settings and goes through "Windows is shutting down" at great speed, then hangs on the blue screen of death for nearly a minute before actually shutting the computer down. I've read a number of FAQs, tried a number of fixes (shutdown.exe, for example) but still my PC doesn't want to throw in the towel.

Can anyone help? :(

Gongoozler 11:52 11 Feb 2005

Have you tried the suggestions on this site click here

warthog01 12:14 11 Feb 2005

Yep, that's one of the first ones I attempted--no joy, I'm afraid.

Pine Man 12:16 11 Feb 2005

Ever since I have started using Norton Internet Security I have suffered from the same problem with shutdown and it has certainly slowed down my boot up. It appears to be something you have to live for security!

FelixTCat 12:31 11 Feb 2005

Is the hard disk activity light flashing or on constantly during this time? The computer may be either saving settings, clearing the virtual memory or emptying the temp folder.

warthog01 12:35 11 Feb 2005

Thanks, Felix--I'll have a look when I get home, but shouldn't it have done all that before it gets to the "Windows is shutting down" notification?

FelixTCat 12:41 11 Feb 2005

Who knows the wonders that Microsoft devises. I have one computer that shows a massive amount of hard disk activity immediately before it switches its power off.

blackjohn 16:39 11 Feb 2005

I am experiencing similar problems, my power down went from 55secs to over two minutes when I started playing around with the pagefile i.e I shifted it from my 2nd hard drive (f) back to the main drive (c).

It is back to 55secs after quite a bit of playing around with the page file.

I noticed that doing a defrag (using disckeeper lite) on the drives that the pagefile the it was split across the drive in two large sections.

I managed to get it back onto the f drive in one section and that reduced the power down by about one minute.

But my XP professional m/c still is taking 55secs to poer down

warthog01 16:44 11 Feb 2005

Thanks, Blackjohn--doesn't sound promising, but I'm an incurable optimist. I suppose the alternative is to not shut it down?? :-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Nokia 8 vs Galaxy S8

Best new design books 2017: From vintage infographics to the the psychology of type

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Nokia 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie